5 Ways To Socialize On Campus While Being Safe

Because one weekend of unsafe fun is NOT worth getting your entire campus shut down.

20
Unsplash

Wohoo, we're back on campus! This means we're now in close proximity to all of our friends after not being able to see them for upwards of five months. The temptation to see everyone is real, I know, I'm right there with you. Obvious health risks aside, however, how devastating would it be to have to be sent home again because people couldn't figure out how to spend time with their friends while following the rules and keeping the community safe. I am a big proponent of socialization, I just wanted to give some ideas that support hanging out with friends, and making it a full, safe semester on campus.

1. Grab Dinner Outside 

Our school is really trying to encourage people to eat outside, or in their room or apartment. While the weather is nice, there's no reason you can't pick up food and sit 6 feet apart somewhere outside, enjoying a meal and catching up with a friend.

2. Study together 

Wear your masks and pull up a chair to an already distanced table in a study space. Suffering through an assignment is so much better with coffee and friends.

3. Workout together

Even if it's not a full intense workout, going on a walk with someone makes it easy to stay a bit apart while still getting your steps in! Maybe even treat yourselves to an iced coffee after, I know that's what I would do.

4. Movie nights/apartment hangouts

At my school, we have guidelines about how many people can be in a dorm or apartment during COVID to allow for distancing. For example, a 4 person apartment should never have more than 8 people in it total, and guests should be wearing masks when they are not eating or drinking. So invite a few friends over, make space for everyone to spread out, make some snacks and enjoy your time together.

5. Check out your campus sponsored activities 

I know my campus does outdoor movie nights, outdoor trivia, and just outdoor hangouts. If it's never been your thing before- why not give it a shot now? Bring some blankets and meet some friends outside for a fun campus sanctioned night.