5 Ways To Practice Self-Care And Crush Syllabus Week

During what is notoriously known as the “easiest week of the semester” at universities around the country, it’s important to make your self care a priority.

124
Pixabay.com

It’s the week after Labor Day and that can only mean two things. *instead of using GIFS here, just put in paragraph form. It doesn't flow well with the rest of your article (although I love them)*

Example: It's the week after Labor Day and that can only mean two things: no more white shorts, pants, shoes, or any other white attire (at least if you want to be considered fashionable) and the fall semester has officially started! (put a transition sentence for the next paragraph)

One: No more white shorts, pants, shoes, or any other white attire. At least if you want to be considered fashionable.

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/fashion-seinfeld-9WxhJU5SUV... GIPHY

Two: The fall semester has officially started!

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/cheer-cheering-11sBLVxNs7v6... GIPHY

There are two types of students during syllabus week. The first has their syllabus in hand before class and is already stressed out about readings and term papers before the first lecture has ended--no, I’m definitely not speaking from personal experience. The second student shows up to class, grabs a copy of the syllabus, and snoozes in the back of the room, dreaming of T.G.I. Friday’s Endless Apps and keg stands--again, definitely not something I’ve done before.

Maybe I shouldn’t be so black and white. We’ve all been a little bit of the first type of student and the second type during syllabus week. No matter what your preferred learning style is, here’s how you can get through the week completely unscathed.

1. Make sure to get a good night’s rest.

The National Sleep Foundation recommends that young adults give themselves 7-9 hours of proper rest each night. Those numbers may seem either too large or too small based on your summer lifestyle, but the fall semester is in full swing. In order to succeed, you need to treat your academics and other obligations like a full-time job. The only way you’re going to perform well is if you’re well rested. Hit the sack!

2. Eat a well-balanced diet.

This is personally my biggest struggle, it's tempting to binge on ramen and other yummy treats that may be found in your school's dining hall. But remember, your body needs good fuel to run efficiently. For a quick snack, grab an apple or mix blueberries into Greek yogurt!

3. Plan out your day ahead of time.

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/LXHJRRjnviw7e"> via GIPHY

If you’ve done this before, you know how great it feels to go to bed knowing exactly what you’re going to do the next day. My favorite method is typing in a To-Do List in the Reminders app on my iPhone; the bubbles can be checked off, which really vibes well if you’re a kinesthetic learner. This is personally my biggest struggle, it's tempting to binge on ramen and other yummy treats that may be found in your school's dining hall. But remember, your body needs good fuel to run efficiently. For a quick snack, grab an apple or mix blueberries into Greek yogurt!

4. Take breaks and plan for down time.

via">https://giphy.com/gif s/will-ferrell-lol-weed-Ct2 fB... GIPHY

This is super crucial in terms of not turning into a messy ball of stress before we even get started. Even if you’re on top of managing your time, getting started on work before it's due, and finding time to hang with friends, you need time to yourself. Some of my favorite things to do are read a good book or take a bike ride through campus. Take time for YOU!

5. Put yourself first.

via">https://giphy.com/gifs/self-love-v78vH6mA5u7Hq"> vi... GIPHY

Guys, pay attention! If I were going to write a TLDR; for this post, the number one rule for crushing syllabus week is to put your needs before others. This goes for every week, not only during Sylly week. If you need to choose between staying in to get a reading done for your 9 am Psych class and going to Mexican Monday at the bar, please tell your friends that you’ll join them next Monday. Yeah, it’s important to have fun, and who isn’t hype to be back with their friends after an entire summer? But doing the work now, before the semester gets really stressful will do a ton of good for your mental well-being!

Do you have any super helpful tips to get through the grind that is Sylly week? Drop them in the comments below!