5 Ways to Organize your Room

5 Ways To Keep Your Room Organized

Feeling like your stuff is everywhere? Here are five ways to feel more in control!

14

When coming home for the summer from being away at school, it seems like my room has become dominated by these massive piles of clutter. At first, the task of going through all of this clutter seems very daunting. It can be very easy to just ignore the clutter and continue to add into it. Yet, once you start organizing your room, you will feel much more in control of not only your room, but your whole life. Here are some strategies that have helped me to be able to organize my room.

1. Use labels.

One reason why people stay disorganized is because they do not have designated spots to put things. When labeling bins, it gives you spots to put your clutter, so it doesn't end up piled on your dresser. The labels can act as a reminder for what goes where, so everything can stay for a longer amount of time where it belongs. You can have some fun with making the labels by using fun colors and styles to go with your room.

2. Put things away sooner. 

There are so many times when I find myself running into my room and throwing my books on my bed before running out. Then, overtime, the books end up all over my room. If I had just put them away in the first place into the spot where they belong, they would not end up sprawled all over my room. It only takes a few extra seconds in the day to make sure that you put things away in the right places. It saves much more time in the long run because you don't end up having to search all over your room just to find the one thing that you needed.

3. Put things where you need them. 

Organize your room so that alike things are spaced out to where you need them the most. For example, you don't want your makeup and hair supplies across the room from where your mirror is. You know you're going to end up moving them by your mirror anyway. This will save you a lot of time in the morning, and will make it easier to keep things where they belong for a longer amount of time, to prevent the need to reorganize your room again.

4. Use a hamper.

One of the key things that end up all over my room are my clothes. If you give everything in your room a place to go, you need to include your clothes as well. Putting a hamper in your room will keep your room much more organized by giving your clothes a place to go. Having a hamper will also make doing laundry much easier by eliminating the need to pick up all your dirty clothes from the floor when it's time to do laundry.

5. Get rid of things you don't need. 

Be honest with yourself, are you ever going to wear that hello kitty shirt you have been keeping in your drawer for all these years? If the answer is no, it's time to get rid of it. You can free up more space than you think by simply getting rid of things. You can finally put the things you use in the places that were once dominated by things you never touched. A great place to give clothes you no longer fit in or wear is to Good Will. This way, you are giving your clothes away to people who actually need them. It will help families out while clearing up the space you desperately need in your room. If you are unsure where to donate your clothes, you can go onto http://www.goodwill.org, and locate the goodwill bins nearest to your house.