5 Ways To Survive Going Home For Winter Break

How to weather the storm of your parents' undying affection.

96
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/04/636610674857651732-233136879_weather%20in%20Amman.png

Going home for the first time can be challenging. You've grown used to independence and having everyone around you stay up until 3 am studying - and now, suddenly, you're back in your parents' house trying not to change back into your high school self. How do you find the balance between your new, hip college persona and living at home?

1. Milk the fact that your parents haven't seen you in 3 months. Ask your mom to do your laundry and make your meals - she will do so gladly for at least a week, more if you keep pointing out that this is her only chance to pamper you before you leave again.

2. Ask your parents' permission before you go out at night or do anything else that might alarm them. Your parents are used to telling you what to do. Although you probably did things in college that they would never approve of, at home you have to keep them updated on every activity you do unless you want to cause needless friction. They love you, and hanging out with your friends for a few extra hours isn't worth upsetting them. Take a deep breath and accept the 9:00 pm curfew.

3. Don't eat chocolate late at night. You're probably used to snacking on junk to get you through that late-night studying. At home, the second you even crinkle the wrapper of a chocolate bar, all of your siblings will come running. And then they will stay up all night on a sugar high and annoy you. Just avoid the temptation.

4. Don't expect that your siblings have matured while you were gone. You've probably grown accustomed to having other people treat you with the respect due to a human being. Your siblings are not those people. They will still fart in your proximity and start laughing, or smack you over and over for no reason. Brace yourself.

5. Spend time with your family! This one should be obvious, but just to reiterate - you have one month out of the year to spend with your family. So hang out with them. Talk to them over dinner. Enjoy their company. They missed you.