5 Ways My S.O. And I Keep The Spark While We're Apart

Here's some advice from personal experience.

17
Kristina Litvjak on Unsplash

My boyfriend and I have been in a long distance relationship for the past few months. He started Law School in Philly, and I am still at Penn State. Here are some ways we make it work!

Text Frequently

Kelli McClintock on Unsplash

In my long distance relationship, I found that actively communicating is the most important thing. My boyfriend and I text throughout the day to keep each other updated. While it is effective for us, it is also just so much fun to make jokes about little things that happen to us throughout the day, and to send occasional funny selfies to brighten up our mood.

Call Each Other At Least Once A Day

Luke Porter on Unsplash

We call each other once or twice a day. It is so easy to make a quick phone call, even if we're busy. He'll call me on his way to the gym, and I'll give him a ring in between classes. It is such a nice break, and is comforting to hear their voice.

Plan Visits

Everton Vila on Unsplash

We always have a date picked out for our next visit. He'll drive to see me one visit, and I'll go to him the next.

Constantly Say, "I Love You."

Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

We are always reminding each other how much we mean to each other.

Send A Little Gift Once In A While

Alex Haney on Unsplash

If he does really well on an exam or needs a pick-me-up, I'll send him a little treat, and vice versa. It is always good to show him that I'm thinking about him.

With these five things, we learn to make it work! I was always intimidated by the idea of long distance, but with these simple things, it has been working out perfectly.