5 Ways Music Has An Affect On Your Brain

We do not really think about how important music is but it impacts us immensely.

41
YouTube

If you are like me, music has always been a huge part of my life. In fact, I feel at home when I am at a concert, I feel like that is exactly where I belong. Everyone listens to music, but we do not really think about the affect it has on us. Some people listen to music when they are sad because it helps their mood. Music actually has a very big impact on our brain and the chemicals in our brain.

1. Creativity

Music at moderate levels makes it more difficult to process, which leads to abstract processing and more creative juices flow. When we listen to music or play music our minds expand and we begin to think outside the box. We think differently with a different part of our mind then we normally would.

2. Our senses

Music enhances our senses. For your touch, it can make you feel calm and connected or also very excited and micheivous. For your hearing, certain types of music can increase your sexual desires or make you feel peaceful and serene. Everyone is different though, our skull and bone structures all perceive music in different ways. For your vision, even though when it can be very distracting sometimes we have to let it flow through us, it affects how we see the world.

3. Improves your mood

Music can help you feel more hopeful, powerful, and in tune with yourself. Listening to sad music if you are going through something can get you in touch with your emotions and is very healing. Music affects the transmitter dopamine, which is very important for your mood. Dopamine is the chemical responsible for the feel good effect. It also reduces stress because it reduces the stress hormone cortisol.

4. Health

Music has the ability to help brain disorders like Alzheimers, dementia, autism, and various mental disorders. In general it can enhance learning and concentration, and slow down aging in your brain. It can help alleviate depression, anxiety and brain function. Music helps stimulate the brain chemical oxytocin. The increase in oxytocin can help you be more trustworthy and generous in that it is the molecule that is for trust and morals.

5. Helps you learn

Music increases brain activity, and connection. It has been shown that students who listen to music had improved test scores and an increase in their IQ. It is said that you should play classical music for young children because of the affect it has on the brain. But any music activates essential brain functions and concentration.

Essentially, music has an impact on every single part of our brain and produces many positive affects on the way we think and we learn.