5 simple ways to reduce your every day waste

5 Ways to Reduce Everyday Waste

You do not have to have a complete zero-waste lifestyle to help the environment.

112

Being zero-waste is a hard task to achieve. Sometimes it is impossible. These little steps can help ease you into reducing your every day waste and help save you some bucks.

1. Use hand towels instead of paper towels

Unsplash

https://unsplash.com/search/photos/towels

It is one of the easiest swaps to make. Just start using more hand towels rather than wiping your hands and cleaned fruit with paper towels. Make sure to wash and change your towels weekly because bacteria can start to grow.

2. Reusable water bottles over plastic, single-use bottles

Unsplash

https://unsplash.com/photos/wxW37QUEYDY

One thing I love about having a reusable water bottle with me all the time is that I do not have to pay for water. No one should have to pay for water.

3. Eat at home or dine-in

Unsplash

https://unsplash.com/search/photos/restaurant

I know it is nice to just go through the drive-thru and get meals to-go but the utensils and sometimes packaging that hold the food is not good for the environment. By going inside you can use the glass plates and silverware which wil be cleaned and used over and over again. If you can eat at home, you get more bang for your buck and again, reuse your dishes and silverware so many times.

4. Finish products you already have instead of buying new ones

Unsplash

https://unsplash.com/photos/WeFNGhH8iX4

I see this way too often. People want to go waste-free and end up getting rid of products they do not want anymore. They end up throwing away products that are fine but do not fit this mold of "eco-friendly" or "zero waste." This is the opposite of the meaning of zero waste. Use up what you have first then go towards getting sustainable and eco-friendly products. Because either way the waste ends up somewhere, might as well use what you have and save some money in the long run.

5. Do not over purchase food products

Unsplash

https://unsplash.com/photos/D6Tu_L3chLE

We all have a favorite fruit or veggie we get at the grocery store. Try to limit the amount of food products you get. Make sure you will eat it and use it before it expires. Food waste is another huge aspect of people's every day lives. Save yourself some money and look into what you need and what you will eat compared to what you think sounds good but ends up sitting in the back of your fridge for a month unopened and rottening.

These five simple swaps/tips will help ease you into a low waste-lifestyle. It is not an easy lifestyle but it can be beneficial to our environment. Every little step counts.