5 Ways To De-Stress From Midterms

5 Ways To De-Stress From Midterms

According to a very stressed sophomore.

86
5 Ways To De-Stress From Midterms
Flickr

Well, it is finally that time of year again. No, not Halloween. I am talking about the big M: Midterms. Yes, we all knew that it would happen just like it does every year at this time. Sadly, while the days are beautiful, you have to spend them inside dusty libraries studying German conjugations and chemical equations. But for those times you are outside of the halls of books, here are five ways to de-stress:

1. Watch a movie.

Now, I know this could possibly lead down the road of binging. But a good movie, especially something that can be understood by five-year-olds, is a great way to de-stress. You can relive childhood with adult food and new friends! I personally recommend "The Emperor's New Groove."

2. Go for a walk.

You could finally walk that trail you have been telling yourself about for the past two years. Even taking a loop around a building of study is a great way to breathe in fresh air and let your mind be at ease. I myself have walked around the entirety of Brandeis's campus on Loop Road, looking to find something new every time I walk. Am I always successful? No, but at least I get out from the gloom and doom of the library. Plus, there are several other reasons as to why walking is good.

3. Color.

Yes, go out, grab paper and some crayons and color! It can do wonders for your sanity. And if you cannot draw, get some pre-made coloring pages online. Let's face it, the only way I made it through tenth-grade study hall was with coloring pages, so you can thank me later.

4. Sleep.

I know that people will tell me sleep is for the weak. But when you crash in the middle of a ten-page essay, you will wish you had listened to me. Trust the process of sleep being beneficial, okay? And if you do not agree, here are some experts telling you why . I personally enjoy using Sunday mornings to catch up on sleep before I have to face the inevitable: find a day that you too can afford to sleep in another hour or two.

5. Eat comfort food.

For me, that was my mom's pumpkin pie this past weekend. For others, it may be the greasy Asian food from downtown. Whatever it is, make sure to take time, indulge and eat some good food -- especially since I know that some of you have been skipping meals! And if you are as obsessed as I am about pumpkin, here are some amazing foods that you can buy from the wonderful people at PEOPLE.

Although this guide will not guarantee straight A's, it will make you a lot calmer during the process. Just remember, take deep breaths and it will all be over until finals season in less than two months (gulp).