5 Ways To Create A Memorable Freshmen Year At OU

Adventures are around every corner, if you know where to look.

6
Ohio Football

You will have only one freshman year when you start your undergrad, so why not make it a GREAT one? When I first started at Ohio University in the fall of 2011 (I'm so old, I know), there were several things that terrified me about being so far away from home.

First of all, I had never drank before so that was a whole new demon I knew I was about to face. I was unable to be away from my family for more than a week without getting homesick. I was terrified of separating from my best friends and the fact that none of them wanted to room with me freshman year left me feeling alone and isolated. I didn't have a clue how to study, and that skill didn't come to me until my sophomore year anyway. Should I go Greek? Is it absolutely necessary to go Greek to survive college? If I wanted to go Greek, how would I pay for it? I had no money and no part time job. Despite all my worries, I persevered, and you will too!

1. Try To Befriend Your Rando Roommate

Trust me, this will pay off in the long run. I was blessed my freshman year with the best roommate I've ever had! For the first couple of weeks I admit we did not like each other, she had told me before moving in she always focused on schoolwork and didn't party, and the complete opposite was apparent. It took me a while to warm up to her, then one day she showed me that her brother obtained all the current seasons of "How I Met Your Mother" and that she was thinking of starting it. So for the next several weeks whenever we were together -- breaks in-between classes, dinner or evening time -- all we did was watch that show, and that's how our friendship blossomed! She became the person I did everything with that year, whether it was free events, library visits, meals or going out to party, she became my best friend!

2. Go To As Many Free Events As Possible

Ohio University is a campus that on a weekly basis is always doing SOMETHING! There is crafting every Thursday night at 9:00 on the first floor of Baker (which is great for the freshmen and sophomores who are unable to participate in Thirsty Thursday). I believe in the next few weeks they're starting that up again, so keep an eye out if you love glue, paint and everything in-between!

Every Wednesday at noon if you were lucky enough not to have class or work at that time, there is Flavor of the Week, which is held on the first floor of Baker. Every week is a new theme and a slew of food that goes along with it. It's delicious and fun and a nice appetizer to settle those hungry, broke tummies when you're on the go to your next class!

In the spring, there is a free event they started on campus in 2014 called Throwback Thursday with UPC. UPC is a group on campus that helps with planning and putting on free events featuring different comedians musical artists. Last year, Aidy Bryant from SNL performed at the Convo on Welcome Weekend, and Retta (Donna) from Parks and Recreation performed Welcome Weekend this year. The past artists for this event have included Aaron Carter, the Ying Yang Twins, and this past spring we were blessed with Metro Station! There's tons of fun activities and food trucks and free throwback candy. So when April comes around, make sure to keep an eye out because this is an event you cannot miss!

There's Zoo at OU when the Columbus Zoo makes a visit on South Beach, puppy play time in the library during midterms and finals, and so much more! Make sure you regularly check your e-mail for free events because there's almost always free food and definitely a fun time!

3. Go Out On The Weekends, At Least Once

Trust me, I was that girl who attended church three times a week and swore off alcohol and drugs of any kind, and of course judged relentlessly those who didn't follow in the same path (which is wrong, don't be like pre-2011 Megan). It took one fateful Friday night the week after I started my undergrad when I was whisked away by my friends to pre-game with the cheapest beer my friend's older brother could offer. I don't regret anything that's happened since. From all the house parties to when I was old enough to finally go to the bar, it's been an uphill battle with memories I'll always remember with the dearest friends that I have made.

4. Participate in HallOUween and Fest Season

You're only here for four years, right!? (maybe three, maybe five, maybe six). So why not party hard during some of the funnest events of the year? HallOUween is the block party Ohio University is most known for, and there's a reason. All of Court Street is covered in townies and students, the bars actually abide by their limit (thank God you can breathe in Lucky's and The Pub), and it's the most enjoyable evening of people-watching you will have in your life. Everyone dresses up; there are no exceptions (besides the religious fanatics that protest every year).

Fest season is another time of year you don't want to miss out on. As long as you party safe and stay on the grass, you're sure to have an amazing time. Go to Number Fest! Every year OU pulls out all the stops to get the best artists for one of the best concerts of your life. Tickets are cheaper earlier in the semester, so buy them ASAP!

5. Learn How To Study

I will tell you right now, unless you're kicking it at an Ivy League school (that probably doesn't make a difference either), you have no idea how to study. High school was literally a breeze with those "papers." (5 pages? That is not a paper.) You are in a whole new world now, a world where you only have two or three free passes to skip class, and if you're not in class you will not be getting that Powerpoint (depending on the professor and how much they care about what they're teaching). So utilize the tools you have in front of you. Get a tutor from the library and rent out study rooms in the library if being in your dorm is too distracting! Someone told me once that you should study two hours for every hour you are in class, and at first I thought that sounded ridiculous until I found myself doing just that automatically every time I sat down to do my homework. Email your professors! Go to office hours, there's a reason they exist! There are so many tools to help you succeed if you just look around and go for it. There's no reason to give up when the going gets tough.

You've started an adventure that will create memories that will literally last you the rest of your life! Eat all the local food you can get your hands on, tip musicians that play on Court Street on the weekends, tell the campus preacher to take a Xanax because he shouldn't assume we're all going to hell. Most importantly, have fun because this whole experience isn't something that can be taught or bought, it can just be lived. Live loudly, love largely, and laugh consistently, because you're hOUme.