5 Ways To Combat Boredom During Break

5 Ways To Combat Boredom During Break

Bored during Winter Break? Here's some things you can do.

20
5 Ways To Combat Boredom During Break
Glove Views

Winter Break. That sweet, sweet month of no assignments. You don't want to do anything those first couple of weeks. But then, once the holidays end and everyone in your family goes back to work or school, boredom sets in. At least, that's how it is for me. I'm not sure about you, dear reader, but I tend to get very stir-crazy during break--especially when the winter weather is dismal and it's cold outside. So, if you're getting bored during the break, here's 5 things you can do to help combat that boredom!

Also, obviously, these may not be your cup of tea, which is perfectly fine! Still, if you're bored, these suggestions are great ways to deal with that boredom.

1. Check out a local business/landmark.

In my hometown and neighboring towns, there's tons of cute local shops, delicious restaurants, and wonderful places to go when you've got some time to spare. For example, I love strolling around the local outdoor mall when the weather's nice, or just going to stores I like and window-shopping. Plus, this is a great way to find some birthday gifts for friends' upcoming birthdays! It's a win-win for everyone. Local libraries are also a good bet, giving you a place with internet, books, and some peace and quiet. They also have movies, which brings me to my next suggestion...

2. Get through your TV/Movie Queue

If you're like me, you like consuming media. And if you're also like me, you also have a mile-long list of titles you want to get through. You also have a sad lack of time to get through all of it, as well. During the semester, it's hard to keep up with shows you watch, or the newest movies. I get that.

Pictured: My list of things I need to play/watch/read/listen to. (Source: Google Images.)

So, now that you've got some free time, you can get started on that list! For example, I got to watch shows like The Bachelor and movies like Finding Dory. Who knows, maybe you'll find something else along the way, too! I know it's easier said than done, but hey, watching some TV or Netflix or Hulu or whatever streaming you prefer is a great way to have fun during break. Same thing goes for video games and books as well!

3. Get through your "I probably should do this..." to-do list.

You've got free time. You also, presumably, have a list of things that have piled up over the semester that you have to do. Getting flu shots, shopping for friends, getting a haircut... The list goes on. Still, you have free time, so use it to your advantage if you want!

For example, recently, I noticed my laptop was acting all wonky with its sound (long story short, it wasn't coming out of the speakers, it was coming out of the bottom, so my legs were muffling my audio and I couldn't hear a thing!), so I took it to my local Geek Squad. As it turns out, there was no massive issue--I just had to reinstall the drivers (software) for my speakers, which had been wiped off my computer after I had to get a new hard drive. So, I was able to fix it on my own. But I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't gone over to check in my free time!

Break is a great time to get through those things that have bothered you all semester, so take advantage of it!

4. Hang out with friends and family.

This one is definitely easier said than done, due to life and scheduling, but break is a great time to catch up with pals and do things. Whether it's college friends, hometown friends, or family, break is a time to relax, kick back, and reconnect.

So, go watch movies. Hang out at the local mall. Play video games. Go get manicures, or maybe ski. Whatever you and your friends love doing, then go do it, time willing. Whatever you and your pals want to do, then go do it, and make some fun memories!

5. Take some time for you.

As with the others, this is definitely easier said than done, but it's break. You finally have some time to breathe, both literally and figuratively. Take a break, if you can. Take a breather. Relax with some tea and some cookies. Pet your pets. Whatever you do to make yourself relaxed and comfortable, do it. It's worth it.

Either way, I hope this list helps you combat your boredom! Have a great rest of break, everyone!