5 Valentine's Day Presents That Are Better And Cheaper Than Roses

Roses die, but your thoughtfulness will last forever.

57
Garay Terrace

Guys, let's face it, buying your girlfriend, wife, etc. a present on Valentine's Day can be difficult and expensive. Flowers can cost anywhere from $10 to over $50 for a special arrangement, and don't even get me started on the price of roses. Roses can be a great gift and if your partner really enjoys getting roses, then you should try to get them for her. However, the sad truth is that flowers die after a very short amount of time and some girls would prefer a more practical gift. You just have to know your partner and decide what would be the right gift. If she isn't as into roses as some girls are, here are five Valentine's Day presents that are better (and cheaper) than roses.

1. Makeup, perfume, clothing or anything else she is into.

If your partner isn't crazy about flowers, odds are she is more practical and would prefer a usable gift. The best way to find a perfect gift in this category is to know your partner and what she is into. For instance, I love makeup—all of it. I would be happy with anything from Sephora, even a gift card. But some girls don't wear makeup and would prefer a nice piece of jewelry or a new handbag instead. You could even buy her some new cookware or that new video game she is excited to play. It all depends on the person and a personal gift that took some thought is the best kind of gift.

2. A nice dinner.

This may sound just as cliche as flowers, but a dinner is much more personal than a handful of roses. If you take her out to a nice dinner, the choice of restaurant is important and shows how well you know her. If she is into romantic dinners and getting dressed up, don't take her to a sports bar. If she hates wearing heels and loves sports, then maybe a sports bar would be a perfect place to have dinner. It depends on what your partner likes and what you two could enjoy together. If you can cook, a homemade dinner would be a great idea. Make sure to cook her favorite meal and plan a nice evening complete with her favorite movie and desserts.

3. Tickets to an event.

Ticket prices can range from extremely affordable to breaking the bank. It really depends on your budget and what you both would like to do. You could find cheap tickets to a local sporting event or concert, or you could go all out and buy her tickets to her favorite musician, comedian or theme park. The best part about this gift is that it is something you both can do together. If the tickets are for a day long after Valentine's Day, that just means that your celebration will last for an even longer amount of time.

4. A special day planned just for her.

If you are on an extremely tight budget, this idea is perfect for you. Most girls don't care how much money the gift cost, but instead care about how much thought you put into the gift. To a female, a gift that took some real thought about who she is as a person and what she likes shows her just how much you truly care about her. This special day planned for her can be as simple or over-the-top as you would like. If she really enjoys going to the beach, a beach day and a nice dinner with a beach-side view would be perfect, especially if you finish off the night by getting some ice cream. If you both have theme park passes, you could both enjoy a day at the park. If she is really stressed and would just like one day with no responsibilities, spend the day cuddling and watching movies. Bonus points if you do all the housework and take care of the kids for that one day. This idea can be as simple or elaborate as you would like. Just be sure to tailor the day to what she would like so that she will know how much thought you put into it.

5. Something handmade or a handwritten note.

Whether you have no money to spend at all on a gift and are just barely making ends meet or you have so much money that she literally has it all, this idea is perfect. Not only is a handmade gift or handwritten note free, but it is also priceless. A gift like that will last a lifetime. If you are a writer or a musician, you could write a poem or song. If you are a craftsman, you could design and create a personal jewelry holder with her name on it. If you are an artist, you could draw or paint a picture of the two of you. Use your talents and abilities to create a personal present just for her that she is bound to adore and treasure forever. Even if you feel like you aren't as talented as other people might be, just remember that she loves you for you and anything you do for her on Valentine's Day will mean the world to her.