Five Underrated Artists That Everyone Should Listen To

These five artists are seriously underrated and we don't know why.

910
Playbuzz

"The fact that you're underrated shouldn't bother you. In fact, I'd rather be the underdog. That way, people usually underestimate you."

Being underrated as an artist is not necessarily a bad thing. The fact that an artist is underrated would be all the more reason to listen to them. Personally, I have a list of favorites that I think everyone should listen to. From Lana to Melanie, these artists speak to me more than an overrated artist would any day.

1. Melanie Martinez

Melanie is seriously one of the most underrated artists in today's music. Like many, she started out on the TV show The Voice. From her blind audition to her elimination, Melanie stayed true to herself throughout every performance. Her rendition of "Toxic" by Britney Spears was just the start of her career. It seriously gave me chills. Her debut album, Crybaby, has reached out to me on multiple levels. Melanie's lyrics are so exclusive and devout. Her style is like child's play, in a way. Her songs are so unique. I can honestly say I've never heard anything like Melanie Martinez's music. I love her individuality. She displays a lot of her characteristics through the album's character, Crybaby. Every song has a title that has to do with being a child (Tag, You're It; Teddy Bear; Milk and Cookies). Each song tells such a deep and true story that only those with creative minds can comprehend. Not only are her lyrics so unique, but also her style. The septum ring, the half and half hair color, the abundance of different makeup choices. I love it all. In an interview, Melanie reveals that she was so focused on creating this character and this story, not necessarily how people would react to it. Melanie Martinez also has self-directed every one of her music videos, and she plans to make a video for every song on the Crybaby album. She is so individual. So outstanding. Melanie will forever be a favorite singer of mine.

2. Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey has one of the purest voices I have ever heard. Just something about her voice always puts me at ease. "Young and Beautiful" and "Summertime Sadness" are so soothing and consoling to the soul. It has been said that Lana is a "musical force of nature". I couldn't agree more. Like Melanie, Lana Del Rey writes her own music and makes a lot of her videos by herself. Lana Del Rey's music reminds me a lot of the oldies, classic and vintage. With today's regular pop music, it's just so rare to hear a classic vocal pop style like Lana. She also carries a vintage look in her physical style as well. Hair flowers, red lips, white tees... it's all so beautiful. Lana Del Rey is someone you'd listen to while taking a warm bubble bath and lighting some candles. She has such a pure and warm, natural voice, without autotune. You'd expect pop music to be catchy, but that's not what Lana Del Rey is about. Her music is deep and authentic and passionate to the soul- almost like a lullaby.

3. Marina and the Diamonds

Let me explain this for those who don't already know: "The Diamonds" aren't a band. The diamonds are Marina's fans. Isn't that cool? Her stage name includes her fans. I have never known an artist to do that. "Love will never be forever, feelings change just like the weather." Why isn't she more famous?! Something else that's pretty cool, she started engineering her own music on Garage Band. I found that interesting, considering that's how I engineer my own music. In an interview she says, "I wasn't trained musically at all. I taught myself piano, and I wrote almost all of the album myself, which is pretty unheard of in pop terms." Something else that is also unheard of in pop terms is an artist who doesn't conduct "sappy love songs." Like Lana, Marina has kinda an oldies vibe. Her style reminds me of the 80s. She describes her fashion sense as "cheerleader, cartoon, and vintage." Like the song "How to be a Heartbreaker" says, "Wear your heart on your cheek", Marina does just that. Her tattoo of a heart is imprinted on her left cheek as part of her brand.

4. Christina Grimmie

Since I was in the 6th grade, I have adored Christina Grimmie. Like a lot of rising artists, Christina started out on Youtube. When I was 12, I received an email from one of my pen pals. The email contained a youtube link to Christina Grimmie's page. My friend said, "Listen to this girl sing 'Back to December'! She is fantastic!" When I heard the beauty and innocence in Christina's voice, I instantly became part of #TeamGrimmie. I followed her on Twitter, subscribed to her on Youtube, and I requested different covers for her to sing. I was so amazed by how she could play the piano so beautifully without learning how to read music first. Christina could play by ear, which was so impressive to me. I wondered, "HOW is this girl not famous?!" When Christina released her debut album, Find Me, I bought it right away. From the uplifting jam, "Advice", to the dark ballad, "Liar Liar", I was inspired more and more throughout each track. Christina Grimmie was such a great role model for me and other girls my age. Her voice is seriously one of the best in the world- if not the best. Of course, when she went on The Voice, I voted for her every night. I was naturally annoyed when she didn't win, but I knew she would go on to do great things. Her cover of "Titanium" absolutely blew me away. The high notes she could hit were unnatural. Christina Grimmie inspired me to learn piano and create a Youtube channel. There are truly no words to describe how amazing her voice was. I wanted to go see her in concert one day, but unfortunately, she passed away in June of 2016. She is a legacy I will remember forever, and she will forever be my role model. She was too good to not be more famous.

5. Lorde

Lorde's music is so particular, for one reason being, she is so young. I love listening to artists who are my age, because it makes dreams realistic. In Lorde's freshman album, "Pure Heroin", the theme of youth comes into play a lot. Her music is so fresh and vibrant. "It's a new art form, showing people how little we care." What does that really mean? To me, I feel as if it's reaching a truth in today's youth. Showing people how little we care, simply because we don't want to get too emotionally involved. Lorde's music is so poetic and real. While dark, it's honest and pure.