5 Typical Bollywood Movies You Will See

5 Typical Bollywood Movies You Will See

Your guide to everything Bollywood

934
5 Typical Bollywood Movies You Will See
Portugal Resident

With many years of experience, I can say that I’m a self-made expert on all things Bollywood. Most of my procrastinating hours are spent browsing through Netflix trying to find my next favorite movie. Everyone who is not familiar with Bollywood seems to think that all they consist of is large scale dance numbers and very unrealistic plots. Yes, that is somewhat true. If you have never heard of Bollywood, it is the most popular Indian film industry. It’s basically the Hollywood of India. As I have been watching these movies, I notice that all of them aren’t actually all the same. Sure, there are a couple of different formulas filmmakers follow, some more popular than others. Let’s take a look at 5 of the most popular types of Bollywood movies. There are so many more as well as some unique movies who go their own way. These are just the types we tend to come across very often.

1. Stereotypical Movies

These are those movies that follow that stereotypical Bollywood formula. There is always laughter, tears, heartbreak, and yes, the large dance numbers. It’s a huge list of requirements but believe it or not, Bollywood has pretty much mastered this concept. For a movie with amazing music, “Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani” is your best pick. If you are looking for a typical love-story, “Ok Jaanu” is great and filled with lots of emotion. Lastly, “Kal Ho Na Ho” is my personal favorite. You might need a box of tissues though.

2. Oldies

These are the movies EVERYONE knows and loves. A Bollywood lover probably can recite the most iconic lines in the movie. They have been watched over and over again and will always be left in Bollywood history. These movies usually test the relationships between people to see how the characters withstand any obstacle that comes their way. One thing I’ve noticed is that Shah Rukh Khan, one of Bollywood's leading actors always seems to play a part in these evergreen movies. One of the most iconic Bollywood films is “Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge” where the epic love story of Raj and Simran plays out in Europe. “ Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham” is a movie that was a cultural-hit about honor and family relations.On the other hand, "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" is a comedic stuck-in-the-friendzone movie that takes place over the course of more than a decade.

3. Historical

Usually, I’m not the one to encourage and watch historical movies. But, over the years, I started gaining a respect for these kinds of movies. Recently, “Neerja” was a huge hit for actress Sonam Kapoor. It depicted the true story of Neerja Bhanot, an air hostess who sacrificed her life for her passengers during a hijack. The story of Maratha Peshwa Bajirao and his second wife Mastani is narrated through the movie “Bajirao Mastani” starring the amazing actresses Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone. “Lagaan” is set in colonial India and is a rousing underdog tale of a group of inexperienced villagers that must beat a team of seasoned British players in a game of cricket or suffer harsh consequences.

4. Sports/ Inspirational

These movies will leave you with a warm and cozy feeling. After watching these movies, you’re going to want to change something about yourself or the world. They will change your perspective of the society and leave you curious. Movies that are modeled after an athlete's life has always been a path that movie makers tend to take. A classic example is “Chak De! India” in which an Indian field hockey team is tested to fight sexism and learn how to work with each other to succeed. They are trained by none other than SRK. "3 Idiots" is an amazing film for people who have never seen Indian movies before because its theme of being true to yourself is universally understood. It also doesn't hurt that there's plenty of comedy and wonderful acting by Aamir Khan. Also an Aamir Khan starrer, “Tare Zameen Par” is my favorite movie of all time. I promise, it WILL make you cry but at the same time make you smile. It is about the journey of a dyslexic kid and his teacher who helps him overcome his learning disability.

5. Drama-Filled

Drama movies can also fall under the category of “Stereotypical Movies” but they find a way to amp up the drama element to a high amount and so deserve their own category. A classic complicated family drama is "Hum Saath Saath Hain", which has so many characters that there's even a 12-minute song within the movie to explain them all. “Kapoor and Sons” explores the idea of love, marriage, and more family relations. A very recent example is “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” which includes the many love stories of Ranbir Kapoor. The film has lots of emotion and catchy tunes.

No matter what genre you choose, Bollywood movies are something everyone can love and enjoy. A lot of thesemovies will and do fit into multiple categories, even the ones I didn't mention.This film industry is growing every day and it filled with so many good movies to binge watchand admire. If you haven’t ever watched a Bollywood movies, what are you doing? Grab some snacks, a blanket, and a box of tissues because you have some work to do.