5 Tips To A Successful Long Distance Relationship

Skype dates

28

My significant other is in the army and stationed over 600 miles away. Whether yours is away at school or you just happen to be apart for whatever reason, here's what I have known to be the best tips for a successful long distance relationship...

1.) Do not do anything you wouldn't want you S/O to do.

This goes for regular relationships as well but people seem to think their person won't find out or it is okay because they're far away. Well they're wrong. Set equal standards, neither of you is above the other and make sure this is understood between the two of you.

2.) Skype dates.

Communication is KEY! I know you'd rather be with each other in person but this is as good as it gets, this way you still get to see each other. if you cannot skype or FaceTime then make time to call! Set a schedule. Enjoy this time because if it is anything like mine than it is rare! Talk about your day, week, interests, just talk. When the conversations die down usually the mood does as well so keep it going. It shouldn't matter what you're talking about as long as you're talking.

3.) Miss each other.

It is perfectly okay to miss your S/O and it is okay to talk about it. Your friends should understand and your S/O will miss you just as much if not more. This will keep your times together in your memories and keep a positive outlook for when you two finally get to reunite.

4.) Make the most of your time together.

I don't care if you are cuddling on the couch watching Netflix all day or touring a new state. Find something you will both enjoy doing because this time is precious and will create the memories you will have to reminisce on when you are apart. (referring back to #3). Be silly together, and definitely take pictures! They will come in handy more times than you may think! Your friends and family should understand how important this time is together so make the best of it.

5.) Finally, love each other unconditionally.

It is hard but if it is true love then you will be able to handle it and survive. There is no better feeling than loving someone and receiving the love in return. Think of all the positives and your future together. If that doesn't put a smile on your face then your relationship can't be helped by these tips.

Relationships are hard, yet alone when you add a couple of hundred miles between you. These are 5 basic tips to a successful long distance relationship. Make the relationship your own because no one knows it like you do.