5 Tips To Punch Plastic Pollution

5 Tips To Punch Plastic Pollution

And Make Sure It's KOed For Good

91
5 Tips To Punch Plastic Pollution
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/30/636607117121073117-740552191_plastic-pollution-oceans-sea-fish.jpg

Ever since Sir David Attenborough brought to our attention the sheer volume of plastic in our oceans, people, including my myself and my partner, have been looking at ways to cut down their plastic usage. It will take a seismic shift in mentality to make a dent in the roughly eight million metric tones of plastic waste that enter our oceans each and every year, but we as individuals have the power to be the catalysts for change.

We don't have to be Iron Man, Captain America, or Thor to save the world. It is our choices that hold the key to the planet's longevity. With that in mind, here are five ways you can become mightier than an Avenger by reducing your plastic usage.

#5 Give Up The Straw

I'll be honest and say that even at the age of twenty-three I still drink from a straw, though, in my defense, it is on the suggestion of my dentist. To put it simply, I have brittle teeth. I've lost count how many disposable plastic straws I've used in the last few years, but I can tell you how many I've used this year. A grand total of 3.

If you're like me and feel you just have to have a straw, try using disposable paper ones or invest in a desirable metal straw. That way you save the production of more straws whilst saving money on buying them.

#4 Buy In Bulk

Obviously, perishables aren't the best thing to have a vast backlog of, but if you fancy eating pasta, then why not buy a bigger bag? That way you save on the amount of plastic you use and save a bit of money in the process. Win-win.

#3 Re-use Old Clothes

I recently went through my wardrobe and found a lot of old clothes I don't wear anymore. Rather than thrown them out I decided to cut them up and use them as kitchen cloths. You may be wondering what clothes have to do with plastic, but you'll be surprised to learn that your clothes are filled with synthetic plastic fibers which take a long time to degrade. So before you trash it, try reusing it a little first.

#2 Buy A Re-usable Bag

A Bag for Life is a great way to reduce your plastic intake. You often see them in the supermarket for around £1 to £2 and come in lots of great designs to suit your style. My mum has a Mini Mouse one, so you're bound to find something for you, whilst reducing the need for more plastic bags to be made.

#1 Give Up The Plastic Cutlery

I know they're great for parties. I know they are easy to use rather than having to wash up, but seriously, they're also a great waste of plastic. It may only be a quid in Poundland, and only be a set of ten, but each one will have a lasting effect on our enviroment, so think before you buy.