5 Tips to Getting Through a Crappy Semester

Excited for school, not excited for stress

73
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/09/24/636418105489469806-542976487_635969553784718109-573418389_6359446284187104702021280218_Screen%20Shot%202016-03-24%20at%208.24.28%20PM.png

School can be stressful. Between juggling clubs, a job, and homework, you never really know when the next time you can breathe will be. Amidst all the craziness and hectic scheduling, it is good to find some activities that can help take away the overwhelming feelings you can get in the semester.

1. Write out what you have to do (make the list in chronological order)

Even if you have never tried it out before, it is best to write it out and see exactly what you have to do. Highlight due dates and important things to remember, and check off each item after you finish it. It can help alleviate stress to see the list of responsibilities go down.

2. Join organizations you love, but don’t overload

It is great to get involved on campus and meet new people. Sign up for clubs and join other organizations that you are interested in. However, don’t join every club on campus to the point where you have no time to do homework.

3. Find time for yourself & friends

Friends can be the best type of support system. They can motivate you and keep you going. Find time to hang out with them and indulge in ice cream and movies. Also, find time to mellow out by yourself, whether it be by listening to music or watching an episode or two on Netflix; a break is good for the soul.

4. Talk to your advisor and professors

Don't feel like you can't talk to your professors or your advisor. They are there to help you and give you advice. If you are swamped with a lot of other work and have a project or paper for another class, ask for an extension. If you are unsure of what your career path should be, discuss it with your advisor. Do not feel like you can't reach out if you need some help.

5. Breathe

It may be easier said then done, but do not forget to breathe. Take your hands off of the keyboard and inhale through your nose, hold, and exhale out of your mouth. Calm yourself down, even if it is just for a bit, because it may help you as you feel trapped under work. It is best for your mental health to take a second to breathe and chill out.