5 Tips To Survive The Second Half Of Spring Semester

It's the home stretch to being home free. But you have to get through it first.

163
Penn State

Spring break is over and classes are back in session. You’re far away from long days on the beach or the blissful peace of your bed at home. Your professors have no sympathy for your harsh transition back into real life, and above all else, summer couldn’t seem further away.

It’s somehow the hardest part of the school year in its own way. The weather gets nicer and the drive to complete the year with academic dignity takes a complete nosedive. If you’re anything like me, the home stretch after spring break to summer break is a serious test of patience and dedication. So, here are some tips for a survival guide to find the motivation to finish the year strong! (Or, you know, just finish it at all and leave school behind with the return of your peace of mind.)

1. Organize a calendar.

Seeing my month written out on a dry-erase calendar in front of me every day is comforting. I know exactly what stands between me and final exams. My meetings, work times, big due dates and more are all there for me to keep tabs on. This could be overwhelming to some, but organization is key to stay on track when things start getting crazy.

2. Find your focus.

Settle down in a place where there’s a work/study environment. The library, empty classrooms, study lounges, or computer labs will do. Sometimes, doing work in your dorm room or apartment can decrease your motivation because there are a lot of distractions — TV, roommates, food, the list goes on. Getting out and going somewhere quiet where everyone else is also working can give you that little push to stop gravitating towards Netflix and start heading towards getting that 12-page essay done.

3. Spend time outside.

There’s a reason why there are tons of articles everywhere talking about the benefits of getting fresh air. It helps! If you’re in the middle of a stressful day, or you’re hitting a dead end with an assignment, step away from the pile of work in front of you and go outside. The weather is getting nicer. Take a little walk. Take a friend. Take some deep breaths. Reset and refocus. Listen to the birds, soak up the sun, or look at the stars. It’ll be alright.

4. Create a support system.

The great thing about college is that everyone is going through the same stuff at the same time. Midterms? Huge projects? Class registration? It’s happening to all of us. You’re not alone. Lean on your friends and let them lean on you. Check in with your parents often and take it to heart when they tell you that you’ll be okay. Welcome to Struggle City -- population: everyone.

5. Get balance.

As great as it feels to push through work and get things done, it’s inevitable to feel run down doing it day in and day out. With jam-packed days and endless assignments, it can seem impossible to even imagine doing anything not school-related. (“Go out tonight? Are you kidding me? I have so much homework.”) Just remember that you don’t have to blow off your responsibilities by going out and staying out until 3:00 a.m. to find balance between fun and work. You can certainly do that if you can stay sane, but it’s probably not the healthiest option. Instead, you can hit the gym, take a break to grab lunch with friends, or allowing some time to catch up on your never-ending Netflix addiction. It’s hard to accomplish, and certainly no one is in balance all the time, but everything has its time and place.

I know that in college, everything is easier said than done. There will be weeks when you just can’t get more than six hours of sleep a night to save your life. You’ll want to cry, you’ll want to pull your hair out, you’ll want to call your parents at least once a day and tell them that you’re definitely dropping out this time.

Consider this, though: you’ve made it this far, through every time that you’ve thought you couldn’t. So what’s stopping you from doing it now?

You’re going to make it. You’re going to be just fine.