5 Tips For Starting The Job Hunt

5 Tips For Starting The Job Hunt

From a Fellow Unemployed Graduating Senior

15
5 Tips For Starting The Job Hunt

As a senior about to graduate this May, nothing gives me more anxiety than being asked what I plan on doing after graduation. In fact, hearing the word "job" makes me a little nauseas to begin with. The fear of finding a job doesn't only stem from never wanting to graduate, but also from having no idea where to start. As much as you learn about the subject of your future career through class, it most definitely doesn't prepare you for actually trying to find a job. So before you have a panic attack about how to find a job, keep these 5 simple tips in mind!

1. Prepare Your Resume and Cover Letter

It is so important to have your resume ready to go when you start reaching out about jobs. It will probably be the first thing you are asked for so make sure it is totally complete (SPELL CHECK IS KEY)!!

2. Stay Organized

When you start researching the industry and companies, it is so important to keep this information organized for future use. Create an Excel spread sheet to keep track of companies you are interested in and if they are hiring!

3. Utilize LinkedIn

I can't even put into words how amazing LinkedIn is as a tool in the job search process. Create a profile, follow some companies you are interested in and utilize the job postings so you know what is out there.

4. Do Your Research

The best piece of advice I received was to do my research. It is so important to know the industry you are trying to get into! Find out as much as you can about the companies you are interested in so you know your options.

5. Stay calm

At the end of the day, everything will work out. You might not have your dream job right away, but remember you have a lifetime ahead of you to get there!

P.S. I still need a job so if you're reading this, it's not too late to hire me!