5 Tips For Southern Students Going To School In The North

Are you from the South and starting college up North? This is for you.

28
We Know Your Dreams

1) Invest in a SkyMileage air program

By far, this is the one thing I wish I did the summer before starting college, which is why I made it #1. You're going to spend A LOT of money on flights, so you might as well invest in some type of Mileage Air Rewards program. Many programs have it setup where you can earn discounts on plane tickets and earn free air tickets after flying a certain amount of miles. You'll be saving money on air fare and it's a great investment.

2) Make friends with those that live in the region

There maybe be holidays during the school year, such as Thanksgiving or Easter, where you won't be able to come home for the holiday. Instead of being a loner and feeling sad in your dorm room, you'll be able to catch a train or car ride with a friend that's from the region, spend the holiday with your friend and their family, and not feel so alone.

3) Northern and Southern vibes are real

In the South, it is a common culture to smile and say hello to every person you walk by. The past 2 years, I definitely learned that this is not a common practice up North. I literally had people looked at me crazy or "mean-mug" me for simply smiling and waving to someone walking by. A way to describe the Northern vibe is that everyone is simply minding their own business and is not trying to converse while reaching their destination.

4) Learn how to layer

Of course there's going to be a climate difference while attending school up North, so you will learn the definition of a coat.The winters can become dangerous to a person who doesn't know how to dress for the season. Leggings, thermals, hats, and lots of insulated clothing articles are going to be your best friend. Don't feel ashamed for dressing warmly. You will feel the wrath of dressing "cute" instead of warm.

5) You're going to notice a difference in the food

There has to be some type of magical touch in Southern cooking because the food up North does not taste the same. By what I mean, is that the food seems to have less flavoring. Also, wings are cooked differently up North. Dry-seasoning is only used to make wings and not wet sauce, so be aware!