5 Tips for the Post Wisdom Tooth Removal Days

And all of the days after that

157
Medigo: Wisdom Tooth Extraction

So, you just had your wisdom teeth cut out of your mouth. You doped up on Xanax before you got there, then they drugged you up even more with anesthesia. What worse is that they forced gauze into your cheeks afterward, and you don't even know the pain you're going to feel once the anesthesia does wear off. And, worst of all, you're not a single bit prepared for what all is to come. Here are some tips to surviving the removal of your wisdom teeth.

1. Don't eat the hard candy.

Do not even ASK for the hard candy at the bank. You know you can't eat it, so don't even be tempted. If someone offers any sort of candy to you, say no. Stranger or neighbor. Enemy or foe. You know you can't eat candy or gum or anything like that.

2. TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDICINE ON THE CLOCK

DO NOT MISS A DOSE. This action will bite you in the butt. Set alarms. Force yourself awake in the middle of the night. Do NOT miss a dose of that Percocet.

3. Allow yourself plenty of time to recover.

Don't try to go back to intense work while you still need Percocets to maintain pain. You will not get very far. Also, I think it's illegal to be on narcotics and work, anyway.

4. TAKE YOUR ANTIBIOTICS

These are meant to prevent infections. They do happen, especially when you have an open socket (or four) in the back of your mouth. If you are allergic to the one prescribed, ask for another kind of antibiotic. Infections hurt and taste nasty.

5. Let your family laugh at you.

This is one of few times that they will laugh at the words they can't understand coming out of your mouth. You will say dumb things. Let yourself say dumb things. Let your family laugh at you. You will be too doped up to care about what they think.

****BONUS TIPS*****

Bonus Tip A: Know the side effects of the medicines you are taking.

When I started taking Percocet, I didn't know that taking Percocet two doses in a row would cause my blood pressure to tank and for me to throw up any effort of trying to bring that up. Knowing that your medicine can make you tired and dizzy is the difference between you being safe in bed and you being on the floor halfway to the kitchen because you fell over.

Bonus Tip B: Get your homework done a week in advance.

You are not going to want to do homework while your jaws are on fire. Do yourself a favor and get it done.

Bonus Tip C: Please eat.

Even if it's just a protein shake, you are at least getting the nutrients you need to have. Soft foods don't have to be just pudding, mashed potatoes, and jello.