5 Tips For Graduating Seniors Headed To College

College is the reward for surviving high school.

1
filmgarb.com

Graduation invitations scattered in the mail, your graduation gown hanging on your closet door, and you are just a couple days away from walking across the stage. You have your acceptance letter hanging on the refrigerator, and you are just dreaming of your dorm room. Your parents are preparing you as much as they can, and you just think you are ready to roll into that college town...but are you really?

After spending two semesters at my home away from home; I began to realize what I actually needed, and maybe I shouldn't of wasted my money on somethings. So here is my advice to you:

1. WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK.

I know your friends are baking in the sun and going on shopping sprees with all their graduation money, but in middle of October when all your friends are going out on the town, and you have $2 in your bank account, you were going to wish you would have worked. Another plus side to working endlessly during the summer, you don't have to work when you are at college. All your time will be free, besides going to class of course. Trust me on this one, your full time job might be miserable...but so worth it.

2. You don't need that $250 bed spread for your dorm room.

I know it is beautiful, I know it is going to fit your color scheme just perfect, but hold it. Don't waste all your graduation money on stupid stuff for your dorm, because I am fully guilty of it. I thought that I needed 7 bath towels, 3 packs of sheets, and two shoe holders... and boy was I wrong. I'm not saying you shouldn't decorate your room, but just slow the roll when online shopping... It adds up, I promise. I was practically sick to my stomach while packing up, because I saw all the stuff that I never even took out of the box. Pack your car up and spend seven hours in Ikea, and KNOCK THAT DORM ROOM OUT. You probably won't spend that much time there anyway. (Ikea is also cute and cheap)

3. Buy yourself a pair of good tennis shoes.

Because you are going to be doing some walking, and yes you will get a ticket if you park on campus. (I speak from experience) You will walk long and far, and it will be hot. My chacos were not cutting it, so I found tennis shoes to be the best bet. My Nike's honestly gave out on me super fast, but I found my best bet to be Sucaonys! I also had a fit bit, and would totally demolish the rest of my friends because of my walks to class!

4. AGENDA.

Write it down! It helps so much to plan out each day. I found myself becoming really lazy when I don't fill out my agenda with everything. I would even write down when I planned to go out, because it helped me so much. Plan it all out, write down all your events, and write down all of your assignments. I know a lot of people find agendas to be a hassle, but they are obviously not using them right. My agenda has saved me so many times, and always write in pencil, your plans will change.

5. Talk to someone new every chance you get.

There is nothing I hated more then someone telling me they had no friends at their newest university, because obviously you aren't trying hard enough. Meet someone new. You get to hear new stories, learn new things, and have someone to talk to. One day, a kid asked me what a corndog was, and we ended up eating lunch together every Wednesday for the rest of the year. I wouldn't have met my best friend if I didn't go up and talk to someone new. It is so simple to meet new people, and it is what makes college so special.

College is such a special time in your life. You are finally on your own, and you finally can make your own choices. You will sometimes realize you still need help from others. So, have fun and make these next four (maybe five) years the best years possible.