5 Tips For Cooking In College

5 Tips For Cooking In College

Yes, it is possible for the college student to make their own meals!

61
5 Tips For Cooking In College
Get Now App

There are many benefits for the college student that cooks. For one, it takes your mind off of everything because you’re focusing on what you’re making. You’re in control of what you eat and the calories you’re taking in. The food you prepare yourself is much, much healthier than the food you would find catered by your school. Most importantly, you enjoy the food you make a lot more because you made it yourself!

Though I cook a lot at school, I find that other college students do not. They don’t think they have the time to prepare a meal or the money to spend on grocery shopping. I thought this at first, but I’m here to tell you that college students CAN cook! Between work, school, and captaining a team, I am still able to cook my own meals. Shockingly, I find that I have been enjoying the process! If you still don’t think you will be able to while in school, here are my top five tips for cooking in college:

1. Go warehouse food shopping

The thought might be a little scary: food stored in boxes instead of shelves, feeding quarters into the shopping cart, bringing your own bags… I guarantee that everything is going to be OK shopping there! Many people don’t realize you pay for the nice shelving, free plastic bags, and music to shop along to at supermarkets. For the college student on a college budget, warehouse food shopping will be your friend. I’ve been shopping at Aldi’s since I’ve been back at school, and I’m on a $70-every-three-weeks roll (which is awesome when compared to the previous $1500 meal plan I was required to purchase last semester).

2. Make a recipe book

One thing I actually do use is my “recipe book,” a binder I have full of different things to try. I do get tired of eating the same things all the time, so I like that I have different options on hand that I can easily reference in the kitchen. I also take my binder when shopping so I know what ingredients I need for the recipes I want to use each week!

3. Invest in a crockpot

Ah, the crock pot. Second only to warehouse food shopping, the crock pot is your next best friend. It is invaluable for the college student to have in their kitchen—I own a small one that I will treasure forever. In the morning, I throw all the ingredients into the crockpot. Yes, literally throw. No pre-crockpot cooking required. I set it on low for the whole day, and when I come home from class, I am able to bask in the glory of a meal that is ready to eat and an apartment that smells freaking FANTASTIC. You can make so many things in the crockpot, whether it’s chili, stew, pasta, or this awesome chicken/green bean/stuffing combo that I absolutely love to make. If you don’t have one yet, I do suggest driving to the nearest Walmart to find one (PS- there’s always less cleanup involved after using the crockpot!).

4. Divide your workload

Running on pressed on time? Every college student knows what that feels like. This, however, does not have to affect your cooking! Here is the secret to cooking in college, which is actually pretty similar to how you manage all your classes: divide the workload. Yes, you actually don’t have to cook all at once! If I’m pressed on time, I split cooking up into a two-step process. If I’m making enchiladas, I’ll cook the chicken and store it in the fridge before class, then take it out and make the enchiladas after class. Making stuffed peppers? Cook your filling first, stuff the peppers, and store them in the fridge until you have the time to bake them. Trust me: there is no shame in doing meal prep in your pajamas!

5. Cook for a few days

Let’s be honest, college students don’t have time to cook every night. I know I definitely don’t. You can use this as an excuse to drown your sorrows in tater tots from the food court, or you can plan ahead for leftovers! When I’m cooking, I always make sure that I have enough food that will last me for one or two days extra. Your third best friend? Tupperware.