5 Thoughts You Have Your First Semester Back From Abroad

If your home university seems foreign the first few weeks back, you are not alone!

17
wvortho.com

You spent last semester abroad. You experienced culture shock, but you quickly adjusted and had the best adventure of your life. The semester ended, you came home, you experienced reverse culture shock in your community. You are finally beginning to settle in and re-assimilate, but now it is time to start your first semester back at your home university.

Sound like you? Read on! Going back to your home university after studying in another country is like reverse culture shock all over again. Here are some thoughts you may have as you readjust to your home school. And don’t worry… you’re definitely not alone!

“My home university is boring. Nothing is new and exciting like it was abroad.”

When I began my first semester back home, I told myself this at least a dozen times a day. After weeks of feeling like there was nothing I could do to make school fun, I decided to become involved with our department for international students. Even if I wasn’t abroad, I could certainly try to help others make the most of their study abroad experiences. Although nothing will ever be as amazing as your semester abroad, getting involved in something totally new is a good way to feel some of that same excitement and sense of adventure.

“Everything is different. I don’t know how anything works anymore.”

A lot can change in a few months… offices move, meal plans are updated, and new policies are put into place. It can definitely throw you for a loop. I had to ask a lot of questions during my first month back to get myself up to date, and that’s totally okay!

“I actually have to budget time for homework outside of class?!”

The most important homework while abroad is to learn the language and the culture everywhere you go. Adjusting to sitting down and completing assignments after dinner or between classes again takes time, so establishing a routine for yourself is very important.

“My friends have new friends who I don’t even know.”

Similar to what you probably felt your first few weeks with your family, college life for your friends does not get put on hold just because you’re away. This should be seen as a positive thing, though. Now you can make all sorts of new friends and share your stories with them as well.

“I have a totally new perspective of my university and campus culture.”

This can also be a very positive thing. Your time away probably makes you critique some aspects of your school, but it also makes you appreciate what you do love about campus even more. And before you know it, you’ll find your flow and fit back in as though you had never left.