5 Things You Should Know About Liberty University

336

Liberty University has been getting quite a lot of media coverage this past year. From having big presidential candidates such as Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders, Ben Carson, and Donald Trump to President Falwell's campus gun policy reform. However, I feel people aren't getting the real or full picture of what this university is and means to many of us. So here we go:

1. Liberty University is the largest private, nonprofit university in the nation.

Yep, and it is also the largest Christian university in the world. The campus is comprised of over 7,000 acres, little over 6.6 million square feet of building space, 357 buildings and structures, and approximately 215 classrooms. With new buildings being built all the time, Liberty is only getting bigger.

2. Liberty University is one of the biggest online universities.

While the residential campus consists of over 14,500 students, the online campus has over 95,000 students for a total enrollment of over 110,000.

3. Liberty University has a pretty diverse campus.

According to the recent statistics, the residential campus consists of 48% male and 52% female. Also, all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico are represented in the student body. Over 90 countries are represented altogether, with approximately 900 international residential students.

4. Liberty University has a heart for service.

As part of Liberty University's aim for servant leadership and service, residential students are required to do 20 hours of community service per semester. As a result, they volunteer over 300,000 hours each year in the community and on campus. Also, the university recently started LU Send Now. According to the main site, "LU Send Now is the university's quick response team for urgent disaster relief and humanitarian needs." They have already had teams help during the aftermath of disasters such as the floods in South Carolina and the tornadoes in Mississippi.

5. Lastly, Liberty University's Convocation is more than just about presidential candidates.

Liberty's convocation is the largest weekly gathering of Christian young people in the world. Over 14,000 students attend Convocation every week for a time of worship and learning from different speakers. Recently, we've had major presidential candidates speak such as Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders, Ben Carson, and Donald Trump. In addition to them, Convocation features over 35 speakers from all trades and nations throughout each semester. From CEOs to sports legends and famous pastors, Convocation brings the world to the students.

While this article definitely did not cover all that Liberty University is, it does show that there is definitely more to Liberty University than meets the eye. Hopefully this article has shown some of the great aspects of this university. Time will show what else awaits for Liberty University and I'm sure it will be greater than what it already is.