5 Things You Should Do As A College Freshman

If I see you doing anything but studying, I'll beat your ass

166
US news

As I register for my junior year on college, I ask my self where the time has gone. It feels like just yesterday I was taking cap and gown pictures and trying to prepare for the life changes ahead. I can't help but wish someone could have given me a better sense of what lied ahead as a college student, so here are some tips I gathered.

1. Study Your A** Off

This is no a joke, and this is not the same thing as studying for high school. When I say study, I mean go to the library and try to absorb 195 slides of a powerpoint fora midterm that will weigh in 50% of your final grade, thats right 50%. Most professors have hundreds of students, so homework is out of the question, you will have a midterm grade and a final exam grade, that is all. And, if they say the exam is easy in their opinion, this does not mean it is to be taken lightly, they have been studying that field for more years than you've been alive, of course it is easy to them. So, nest year if I see y'all doing anything but studying, I'm beating sense into you.

2. Make Friends With Everyone

Unlike high school, where everyone minds their own business and is dependent on who they already know to fill you in on things missed in class, in college you can tap a complete stranger's should sitting near you and ask for homework and they will help you out. Need to be signed in for a class with attendance? A person you just met last week will help you out. we are all in this together.

3. Go To Class

This may sound crazy, but skipping class is SO easy to do when there is 100 or more students in your class and its a sunny day on campus. But, as soon as that exam question says "based on what we went over in class," you're screwed. Just go, even if you just sit there, just your presences might help you out on upcoming work.

4. Go Out

If you are anti-parties, you can still have fun. Go to Ale's and just hangout and dance, meet new people, have a good time. College is stressful, you have to let out some steam, and you can do it sober, or you can do it drunk. Dress the theme for a frat party, meet people in your major, meet your new best friend in the bathroom, enjoy the presence of people whom share the same goals as you. It is way different than a few people in someone's parent's basement, don't let the vision of a boring high party fool you.

5. Don't Sweat The Small Stuff

It is okay to fail, drop, withdraw, or anything else. You Will graduate, you will succeed. Everyone fails. I was an honors student in high school and I failed and withdrew. Do not get discourage from one bad class, or one bad grade. EVERYONE FAILS.

College is a huge step, and will test you in every way imaginable, but will be the best years of your life, if you let it.