5 Things You Didn't Know About Eggs: Diet Advice from Ilija Jahura

Here are two things you already know about eggs: they're incredible, and they’re edible.

5

.

Here are two things you already know about eggs: they're incredible, and they’re edible. Are you ready for five things about eggs that you probably didn't know — and that just might blow your mind?

In this blog, Ilija Jahura talks about everything egg-related to help you get the most out of this superfood and take a crack at incorporating it into a healthy, balanced diet!

1. They Aren't Great Raw

Raw eggs aren't good, and that’s not just because most people don’t like the taste. The myth that raw eggs are somehow nature's gift to the protein-hungry gainers out there is about to be busted. Raw eggs contain the chemical avidin, which binds to biotin. And that's bad news for the biotin in your body.

Eating too many raw eggs could result in a biotin deficiency that leads to lethargy, numbness, depression, hair loss, and a whole host of other problems. Those problems are avoided when the egg is cooked, as the protein avidin can't bind to the biotin after cooking. So yes, eggs are good for you, but you should absolutely cook them first.

2. Eggs Don't Necessarily Raise Cholesterol Levels

It's true that eggs contain a whopping 187 milligrams of cholesterol, and health experts recommend you don't get more than 300 milligrams of cholesterol daily. But research studies about the effects of eggs on cholesterol show conflicting results.

In some of the studies, people ate up to four eggs a day with virtually no negative impact on their cholesterol levels. One study suggests that the cholesterol found in eggs isn't easily absorbed by the body, while the egg itself can even limit cholesterol absorption further.

However, if you're concerned about your cholesterol intake, it's always best to discuss your diet with your doctor.

3. Egg Allergies? You Might Not Have to Give Them Up

Egg allergies occur when your immune system overreacts to the proteins found in the egg. But there could still be hope for you to enjoy an egg breakfast here and there. Destroying the proteins with enough heat, like in a boiled or fried egg, could mean that your body won't have an allergic reaction when you eat them.

Proceed with caution: Talk with your doctor or allergy specialist and listen to your body. Eggs are a fantastic food, but for many, the gamble may not be worth it.

4. The Eggs You Buy Don't Contain Baby Chickens

Stores don't sell fertilized eggs, so don't ever wonder if you're eating a chicken embryo. People sometimes confuse chicken embryos with the chalaza, which is a membrane that attaches itself to the yolk to keep it safe. Not only is the chalaza edible, but it's also a good indicator that you have a fresh egg on your hands.

5. Eggs Are Phenomenal for Protein Synthesis

Most people know eggs are a good source of protein. But did you know that they also excel at increasing muscle protein synthesis after your workouts? The catch is that you need to eat the yolk with the egg to get the protein and testosterone boost.

So while it might be better for some to opt for an egg-white omelet, go for whole eggs if you want to boost your gains at the gym.

About Ilija Jahura

Ilija Jahura is a hardworking health consultant and fitness expert who helps his clients get results. Based in Kelowna, British Columbia, Ilija is known for his dynamic and complete approach to diet and exercise to help shift his clients in a healthy direction and accomplish their goals.