5 Things You Can Learn From Kanye West

5 Things You Can Learn From Kanye West

A rapper whose morals go unrecognized.

810
5 Things You Can Learn From Kanye West
vogue.com

When people hear the name "Kanye West," I'm sure people already have their own pre-developed judgments about the rapper, based on previous media perception. Some words to describe Kanye that come to mind for many others may be "egotistical", "bipolar", "impulsive", "overrated", "ignorant" etc. The one word that comes to my mind when I think of how I could describe Kanye West is misjudged. Although the rapper may have flaws, the pressure of being famous and keeping up an image as a celebrity figure.

On top of all of that, the media, who thrives based on how entertaining the story is, has taken an interest to Kanye and now his family for many years now. Kanye has the opportunity to use his music as a way to express his side of the story and I think it's important to listen. Although people may say that Kanye cannot be taken seriously, I believe there are some parts of Kanye's music which are earnest and meant to be respected for what it is. Here are some messages that I think were meant to be learned through listening to Kanye West:

1. "Everything I Am" (Graduation)

"Everything I'm not made me everything I am."

Kanye taught me that originality is valued more than anything else and that's how the greatest of the great stand out. He discusses how people hate on him for standing out by saying what's on his mind, but, at the end of the day, that's the main reason he's talked about.

2. "Saint Pablo" (Saint Pablo)

"The media said it was outlandish spendin'/The media said he's way out of control/I just feel like I'm the only one pretendin'/I'm not of control, I'm just not in they control."

In this track of Kanye's most recent album, I think Kanye was getting in on the conversation surrounding fake news in the media. Although this isn't a life lesson to learn from Kanye, I think that Kanye has a lot to contribute to the topic of fake news as celebrity who can testify to being a victim by certain media outlets.

3. "No More Parties in LA" (Saint Pablo)

"Not knowin' the disconnect from the father/The next generation will be the real victims."

Kanye gives an eye-opening point to why women shouldn't have children with rich men in order to get a substantial amount of alimony/child support to live off of (besides the fact that is a really messed up thing to do to someone). Assuming that the woman obtains full custody, children are the real victims of this kind of situation by being raised by only a woman.

4. "Good Morning" (Graduation)

"Scared to face the world, complacent career student/Some people graduate, but be still stupid."

Just because someone is well educated and has a college degree, sometimes it doesn't make them smarter or richer. Kanye realizes that good grades and a higher education don't necessarily mean a person is going to be successful, which is what society tends to believe.

5. "Hey Mama" (Late Registration)

"I said mommy I'mma love you till you don't hurt no more/And when I'm older, you ain't gotta work no more/And I'mma get you that mansion that we couldn't afford."

Kanye dedicates a song to his mom to show how much he appreciates everything she ever did for him and how much he loves her. Lastly, Kanye teaches us that no matter who you are or how much success comes into your life, you've got to have respect and love for the one who raised you into the person you are.