5 Tips And Thoughts About Attending Rock Concerts in New York City

Think you're ready for the pit? Second guess that.

37
https://images.google.com

It's no secret, music is the root of what drives an unexplainable sense of excitement through our bones straight to the core. Whether you find yourself jamming away on your personal music device, stereo blasting in your car or raising the distain level from your neighbors when inciting an all out bash, music can drive you to feel an assortment of emotions. One aspect that speaks on high volume, no pun intended, is experiencing live in concert, your favorite artist or band who gets you through the tough times, keeps you in greater spirits or may brew a form of musical arts into your soul.

However, there is a specific undying passion that lies within the music scene, specifically in the world of Rock/Metal. All around the world there are countries, cities, states who thrill intensely at the opportunity to breathe the same breath of those who plug in their amps and destroy the night with heavy bone chilling clamor. One of the many famous populations that rest well as the top few cities in the world, New York City, is no stranger to coming unglued when the best of the best come out for tours, album release parties or one-off show dates. Though there may be thousands who are no stranger to a concert in The Big Apple, there tend to be many each and every passing event who are new to the scene and are unaware just what to expect or how to properly enjoy themselves.

Going to your first Metal show in New York City anytime soon? Here are 5 tips to hold in mind to assure your first experience and more to come a true success.

1. Survival of the Wisest

If you believe for one second that going to a Metal show at any musical occurrence, none the less in New York City, is solely based on all of what you've seen in movies and TV shows (head banging, rock horns flying, fist pumps raising).....you're only a quarter of the way correct. Do not expect for any experience in these wild conditions to walk out of any venue without breaking some serious sweat. From band members on stage initiating crowd mosh pits, everyone simetaneously jumping up and down vigorously and tossing your friends (or yourself) to the front of the stage via crowd surf, there is zero promise that you will not get caught in the middle of the frenzy. Especially when you include rival "mosh pit crews" or overly intoxicated individuals who have no consideration for other's safety and will wail on anyone who comes within an arms reach once the breakdown of their favorite song kicks in.

Best thing for you to do in this situation are one of two things. If you are durable for taking such a risk, join the fray and unleash your wildest of energy to survive being kicked in the head. Otherwise, take the most safety precautionary and MOVE! The very front or back of the crowd of approximately 200-300 usually is your safe zone from any potential occurrences that may land you up in a hospital or going home with a busted lip. If you do not mind a few nudges but are not clearly cut out for the jungle, don't be foolish, stay - away - from - the middle.

2. Venue Authority

Ranging from the likes of the legendary Gramercy Theater and Irving Plaza venues, you are bound to come across some employees who won't take lightly to even the smallest of nonsense or inconvenience. Should you be crowd surfing to the front of the stage, security will always be at the restraining barricade to grab ahold of you and send you off on your way to return to the crowd. However, do not always rely on the idea that you will be treated fairly in your moment of rush. For they too are experiencing 3 to 4 hours of insanity, assuring no fights are breaking out, narcotics/substances are being refrained from being used and the occasional times a band member may join in the crowd does not end in fault. In these times, the frustration may tend to build and you just may be grabbed roughly or pulled and thrown over the barricade in the act of blind rage, so be aware to think twice if you see security taking on too much before you decide to leap frog over your friend's shoulder to fast track towards the stage. Otherwise, take the chance, but at least thank security and let them know you appreciate their assistance to ease some tension.

3. Consideration Creates Family

As mentioned before, do not expect to walk out of any 3-4 hour event of insanity without breaking a sweat. But that does not mean you should make your safety an over-exaggerated priority whereas you not only jeopardize your experience but also the experience of others. Especially when you are able to lend a hand in assuring someone else who may be in the same condition as you, to have a good time. When a band member, specifically the lead singer, plans for a wall of death (two sides of the crowd running to each other and pushing, flailing etc etc amongst each other) or a circle pit (a select few of at least 15 or more individuals creating a fast paced merry go round circle within the crowd's circle) and you either see someone get knocked to the ground or too hesitant to become involved, it does a good mind and heart to help pull that person out of danger or warn them of any potential hazards. Remember, we may be all here to get crazy but nobody should be getting hurt more rather taking care of one another. For your efforts, you will be thanked and even may make a friend out of it.

Additionally, be aware of others around you for non-wild happenings, such as not holding your arm up too often when taking a picture or video, refraining from being a tall obstruction in the front of the crowd where most shorter individuals rely, and always offer what you can to help someone in need if they are experiencing heat exhaustion or a health problem. Trust me, New York City crowds can be on a whole other level but there are many who have a heart. Do not stray from joining the family.

4. Flash The Cash, Not Only For The Stash

Disregard the idea of waiting weeks or months JUST to see your favorite band play your city. That is a huge deal to the experience but it is not the only deal. Be ready and willing to come prepared with a couple of 10s or 20s taken out of your paycheck or weekly allowance to support your musical idols. No, not because it's the cool thing to do and because it'll score you some good garb, but because it helps out the band when you show support via buying t-shirts, logo flags, hats, accessories and more importantly, the music that through hard work was recorded in studio for many months end to be put out for you, the fans to enjoy and keep the wheels turning.

It also helps if you leave a little tip if some extra spare dollars, $5 or so for the merch booth seller. They regularly do this type of odd job for fun, however thanking them for their services in assisting your purchase to that one sweatshirt you've had your eyes on for quite the duration of the show really goes a long way in creating the perfect experience to the show. You made your purchase and you were rewarded in double by helping make someone's day by gifting them with some extra green to score some food in the expensive and diverse Concrete Jungle. In the end, everyone leaves happy and satisfied.

5. Beyond The Barricade

You see it all the time in promotional videos on Youtube or in pictures of your mutual friends on Facebook. There they are, 3, 4, maybe even 5 in the morning, the most dedicated in the morning sun, or actual insane in the unforgiven freezing winds, camping out either in a tent or wrapped in a blankets whilst holding their front of the line spot outside a venue in a lawn chair. Waiting for that magical moment when the tour bus pulls up to the doors and out walks the members of the evening who will melt your faces off, inciting the pulse in your chest for you to run up and uncontrollably ask for a picture.

Don't do that.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to mark out at the sight of your most sensational musical hero appearing right before your eyes as if it was the Second Coming. However, most to nearly all musicians will not take kindly to the idea of trying to focus on where they can find the nearest Chipotle or Pizza spot that isn't fly infested and there you are drilling at the opportunity to shove your camera in their faces. There are several options to go about this that will suit you well in your endeavor to meet your idols.

One, make well with timing of your location. If you know your desired band is up to play first or second. Immediately make your way to the merch table the second they clear the stage. To the fact that bands love New York City crowds, they will often make their random appearances to check in with their merch guy on sales or willing come hangout for a little while. Secondly, as difficult as the process may be due to security circling their every move, often times waiting (PATIENTLY and RESPECTABLY) by the tour bus after the show will grant you a picture or small window of opportunity to chat with your favorite band members. Finally, if a strong sense of doubt begins to takeover your mind far before your show date approaches, and you happen to have quite the savings held over, purchase some VIP tickets. Not only will you score some great souvenirs and gear for your buck but you'll also, stress free for both parties, be fortunate enough to live in a world with just you and your band of choice for several minutes, or maybe more.

Hope all of you concert goers stay safe, have fun, take care of each other and above all else, soak it all in. Each time those lights are on bright and those amps are on full blast, you are in the clouds among paradise........for a few hours.