5 Fun Things To Do Instead Of Trick-Or-Treating This Halloween
popular

Because Halloween isn't just about candy.

1572
Julia Raasch

Trick-or-treating isn't for everyone.

Maybe you don't like wearing a costume. (Or don't like shelling out the money to buy a costume.) Maybe you don't like candy, (what?!) or think that Halloween is just for little kids (also what?!). Maybe you don't like getting s p o o k e d, or you just don't celebrate for religious reasons. Maybe you just don't like the holiday.

Well, that's quite alright.

LOTS of people do revel in the holiday, and thus, our culture and media follows suit. This time of the year is always fraught with many a jack-o-lantern and pointy witch hat. The bakeries are baking creepy cakes, and the TV channels are playing horror classics.

But Halloween isn't all about the trick-or-treating, you know. So take advantage of this time! There's a lot more out there to do than trundle around town in a sweaty costume that you'll probably ditch next year, but today, I present you with just five of them.

1. WATCH HORROR FLICKS!

THIS IS A MUST.

If you're a person who absolutely adores scary/horror movies as much as I do, Halloween is when you're in your prime. During Halloween, I love nothing more than to curl up on my bed, wrap myself up in my fluffy comforter, and snuggle back with some Halloween kennel corn and watch classics like "The Shining"and "Premonition." (Which I 100000% recommend; it's a foreign horror film which makes it all the more creepier!) Halloween is the only time where scary movies run rampant on TV, so enjoy it while you can!

Even if you don't enjoy horror flicks on your own, watching one in the dead of night (with the lights out, for better quality) with a group of friends is an experience that can't be beat. Y'all will scare yourselves scary, and really get into the spooky spirit!

2. Go pumpkin picking and enjoy hayrides!

It may be Halloween, but it isn't just Halloween. Fall is here, too! And so are pumpkins!

Pumpkins most certainly go quite nicely with our favorite spoopy holiday (just look at your neighbor's jack-o-lantern), but fall is when they blossom! As a result, farms often open up their premises for eager fall-goers to immerse themselves in the October spirit by picking up a nice, fat pumpkin to put on their Facebook profiles. And if you enjoy the crisp, windy weather, count yourself lucky if they throw in a hayride, too! It's definitely an experience worth experiencing, especially since you can only do it a couple of times a year! And, if you're a fan of baking, stock up on these immense orange fruits and let the pumpkin pies RIP! And, speaking of baking...

3. Bake up some goodies!

DID SOMEONE SAY PUMPKIN PIE? Well, they should. They should also say "caramel" and "candy" apples because 'tis the season of crisp Granny Smiths, as well! Spooky rice crispy treats, cakes, dinners...who said Halloween had to just be about candy?

4. Go to a Halloween parade and look at all the costumes!

Honestly, just go out and observe the costumes. It doesn't even have to be a parade; any big Halloween-themed social gathering will do. You don't have to enjoy wearing a costume to enjoy how others wear a costume. Honestly, people really do get creative. Who knows; maybe one of those costumes will be something to remember and talk about for YEARS to come.

5. And, last but not least: enjoy fall.

'TIS THE SEASON OF THE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE! Pumpkin spiced everything, to be honest. Pumpkin spiced bread, pumpkin spiced cough drops (what?), pumpkin spiced gum (also what?)...the list goes on and on!

But not just that. Many of us forget that Halloween happens, but it's still fall. Fall, the glorious season that is all about sweater weather and the beginnings of needing hot chocolate after a long cold day and spending time with your loved ones. We always end up yearning for fall all year, and we do so all over again as soon as it passes. So enjoy it while you can!

And that's a wrap! Y'all might spend your Halloweens collecting individually-wrapped pieces of diabetes, but I know what I'm using MY time doing. *sips PSL latte*