5 Things I Am Worried About Going Into My First Semester At Penn State

As if college wasn't already nerve-wracking enough, we're going back in a pandemic.

30

I think I have always been nervous about going into a new school for college because of the way I have been introduced to school in the past. I have been at a charter school my entire life, so I have never had to transfer schools or go and make new friends because I have always had the same ones since kindergarten. This whole college experience is going to be a completely different ball game for me, and I can't seem to shake my nerves. Not only is going into college itself completely terrifying, but going back during the COVID-19 pandemic is making my anxiety peak at record levels. Here's a list of things that are making me worry about going back to college in the fall.

Meeting New People

Photo by PÃ¥l-Kristian Hamre on Flickr

Like I had mentioned before, I had never had to make friends because they have been in my life for 13 years. Now that I am taking myself out of that situation, all of the nerves that most people experience during middle school going into high school are hitting me like a truck. I'm more nervous than ever about this because everyone has their opinions now about what type of people they want to become friends with. At my old school, there was never really a distinct difference between everyone's friend groups, they all just liked who they liked as friends and there was no labels for any of them. Now going into college, I am extremely nervous about having to "fit standards" that other people have already made up in their heads, even though that is not how it should be at all. This "making new friends" thing might be the worst part about coming into a new school, personally.

Worrying About Roommate Issues

Photo by Noémi Macavei-Katócz on Unsplash

I have been grateful enough to have one of my close friends from home become my roommate for the fall semester at school. I am more excited than ever because now I will have someone to stick around with if I am ever feeling like I need someone that is familiar to talk to. Although there are many things that I am super grateful about, there are a few things that I am worrying about too.

Last year was when we both decided that if we were both going to the same school, we would room together. Now that was a very premature decision to make coming into this year. I have been friends with her for a little over two years and had never had an issue with her. This year, and I can't figure out if it's because I am looking for reasons to be worried or if it's just because I am now just noticing them. There a few things that are turning me away from my roommate that I had requested. I am really hoping that these issues do not follow her into the fall semester because I would hate to lose a friendship that had so much potential to become more.

Falling Behind in Classes

Photo by amboo who? on Flickr

Now that the college has announced that we will be coming back in the fall time, there have been a few changes to the rules and regulations. I have made my class schedule and I am taking 6 classes this upcoming semester, most of them are easy and will be a good start for me, but some are a little more difficult. I fear that because 4 out of 6 classes that I am taking are now moved to Zoom, I am afraid I am going to fall behind because of the type of learner that I am. I am someone who has to be in person in order to learn to my fullest extent. Now that most of my classes are online, I am really nervous that I will have a difficult time understanding and comprehending the work. I am hoping that I will be able to adapt to this new way of learning, because if not, I am not sure what I will be able to do.

Getting Sick

Photo by Brittany Colette on Unsplash

During this whole pandemic, I have been super paranoid about everything and constantly fear about getting COVID-19. I am this fearful of it because I have asthma, and having asthma and getting an upper respiratory sickness does not end up well. I have heard horror stories about people being put on respirators and having machines breathe for them, and that terrifies me more than anything else on this list.

I am nervous about contracting something because many students are coming from different states and also other countries, not that that means they have COVID any more than we do, but not knowing the conditions that someone is coming from is very scary. Not knowing where everyone has been and who they have been around scares me so much. I know that I myself will have to keep myself accountable for how clean my room and how much I am practicing basic hygiene (like everyone should be doing).

Missing My Family

Photo by Vlada Karpovich from Pexels

For all of my life, my parents have always been there for me. I have always told them everything that I do and everything that I want to do. They have helped me make decisions, small and large. I used to do everything with them and count on them for many things. I am not going to lie, I have been spoiled throughout my life and I am nervous to see just how responsible I can be on my own. I know that I preach about my independence at home, but once I really need to be independent I am worried that I won't have what it takes. I know that I am growing up now and that my family knows that I am growing up too, it will just be so hard going from being with them everyday, to not seeing them for months on end.

I am really going to miss my family more than anything and I hope they miss me just as much.