5 Things That Happen When You Go To Prom While In College

Sometimes the epitome of high school memories comes back around for one last hurrah.

4789
Jordan Weiser

One of my best friends from high school found himself without a date to his junior prom, and was awesome enough to ask me to go with him. I LOVED going to dances in high school, and I knew that he and I would have a great time together, so I was super excited. Though the night was just as much fun if not more so than any of the dances I went to while I was in high school, it of course had its differences since I'm now in college. If you ever get the chance to go to prom while in college, here are 5 things that are likely to happen.

1. You get to go through the whole Prom process again, but this time it's a little different.

You know the drill: fill out the forms, get the dress, match the tux, coordinate who's buying the tickets, the flowers, the pictures, and figure out what cool thing you're going to do for promenade. This is hard enough to do when you're in high school, but when you're away for college you have to have a strategy. You either have to find a time to get the perfect dress while you're home, or pray that you can find a decent dress shop by your university. A lot of things are decided over text, and for the things that can't be, it's good for your date to be close with your mom.

2. You'll dance a lot, and since you're old, you'll get sore.

Do I dance like no one's watching in college? Of course! Do I do it for three hours straight? Nope. I was very clearly reminded of that when I was out of breath after a good song and a half and again when I woke up the next morning feeling my back and various joints a little more than usual.

3. You might miss stuff at school.

Since it was the last weekend at school, I missed out on some bonding time with my friends. Also, I still had finals to conquer the week following prom, so I missed out on some study time. But, you know what they say: you can always retake a class, but you can never relive a party!

4. You get to be pampered and feel like royalty for a night.

In college, sweatpants change from a desire to a necessity. The only time anyone looks nice is if they have a presentation. Getting my hair and makeup done and putting on a beautiful dress was a nice change from the usual "wasn't feeling it today" look that seems to be my signature style.

5. Have the nostalgic night of your life.

Senior prom is meant to be one of the most magical nights of a highschooler's life. Getting to go back and relive all of that fun when you're in college takes you back. It makes you feel all the wonder and excitement and ease of high school, and for a little while, you feel just like you did when it was your prom.

Special shout out to my date, Nick. You're the bomb.com, my man. Thanks for making this extra prom one of my favorite memories!