5 Things Society Needs To Change

5 Things Society Needs To Change

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, society needs to accept that.

12845
5 Things Society Needs To Change
PSU.edu

Talking about society's standards, politics and other issues can turn into what seems like an almost dangerous controversy. The wrong form of phrasing, or a difference in opinions, can turn from a normal conversation to being attacked for not having the "common" opinion. Society seems to have taken a turn from what is right to what hurts someone's feelings. If someone, like myself, has a different opinion, he or she should not feel afraid to speak what they believe it right in fear that he or she will be ridiculed for believing in something different.

Here is what I believe society needs to change:

1. Transgenders and Bathrooms

Whether you identify as a man or a woman, I believe that you should be able to use the restroom of your choice. However, if someone disagrees with that opinion, it is not OK to attack them with words such as "What is wrong with you?" or "You must be a horrible person." No, everyone has a right to believe what they think is right, and whether you agree with their opinion or not is your own opinion. All over social media there are controversies about this issue, most of the comments are supportive. As soon as a disagreeing comment pops up, that person is attacked for having their own opinion. That is not OK, if you demand respect for your own opinion, you need to show respect to someone else's.

2. Political Views

The 2016 Presidential Election has been one of the most controversial ever. As a 19-year-old Republican college student, let's just say not everyone agrees with my views. I am, yes I'm saying it, a Trump supporter. Now before everyone jumps down my throat for God-forbid having my own opinion, I do live in America, and I am certainly allowed to support whoever I choose. The reports of vandalization, destruction of property and insults are jaw dropping. If these people claim to be "doing justice to Trump supporters" why must that resort to destroying someone's property? What does that do? Nothing. Society's double standards are ridiculous and people need to open their eyes that no matter who you support, it is your own opinion, and there is nothing you can do to change mine. Whoever you support? Good for you! Now let me support who I want to win without insulting me.

3. Skinny Shaming

If you ask any girl nowadays, mostly all of them will say there is something about their body they would like to change. Whether it be losing weight to fit what is considered a "perfect" body image, or gaining weight due to feeling too skinny. Society's issue is the fine line between skinny shaming and praising. A girl who is naturally a size zero, which apparently "doesn't exist" and "isn't normal" is skinny shaming. It is very possible for a girl to be a size zero, and it is very possible for a girl to be considered normal size. Telling a girl who is naturally skinny to "go eat a cheeseburger," is demeaning and harmful to her self-confidence. If a girl is naturally skinny, why try to bring her down with hurtful comments? Society needs to realize that women come in all shapes and sizes, and all are beautiful no matter the size.

4. Feminists

Society's "feminists" as identified, seem to demand "female dominance" more than gender equality. Females don't deserve any more rights than men, that doesn't mean I am against women's rights (which have been present since the 19th amendment). Pay gap has been present since women have been allowed to work alongside men, and that is not a man's fault. What society doesn't understand is things take time, and women need to stop blaming men for their own hardships. Things in life aren't going to be handed to you. Women and men are created equal, no gender is more entitled than the other. Both genders deserve equal rights and equal respect.

5. Vegans

This isn't directed towards all vegans because some can be quiet about it. Most of the time, when someone is vegan, they'll let you know about it. And frankly I really don't care. Not to offend anyone, but if you're a vegan, good for you. The issue is when a vegan can't grasp the fact that someone eats meat. Preaching vegan-ness to someone who eats meat is nothing but annoying. Who cares? It's my life choice to enjoy a steak at dinner, so leave your opinion out of it. If someone who eats meat doesn't judge your life choices to be vegan, don't hoist your negative opinion to someone who chooses to eat meat.

This isn't intended to insult anyone or disagree with any opinions. It's to understand that it is OK to have different views than someone else, and the issues that need to be addressed about society.