8 Things My Pets Have Taught Me That Every Parent Already Knows

For all the pet lovers out there.

23
Wallpaper Folder

I have three pets: The orange Tabby and cranky old-timer, Tiger, the spunky, loudmouth Velcro-dog, Parker, and the bright-eyed, 6-pounds of pure badness, Rico Suave, all with respect to our dearly departed sweetheart, Lovie.

Cherish the Time When the Kids are Exhausted From Destroying Things

There comes a time each day when you realize that it's quiet. No one's fighting. No one's doing anything they shouldn't. Nothing's broken. Nothing's missing. All is calm. Well. Stress....FREEEEE. Take in those moments- like a long, deep relaxing exhale- because they sneak up on you and end up being the only time you get any work done.

Just Let 'Em Work it Out

It's awful, I know! But Rico is a kitten. And kittens want to play, but between the two choices in our house- a crotchety cat who's grown out of playing and Chihuahua-mix who wants to play but is so loud she scares her would-be playmate- Rico decides to go with Tiger, and what we end up with is two rolling balls of fur with Rico biting Tiger's neck and Tiger boxing Rico's ears. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad with other people's pets and children but Rico is RELENTLESS. I swear each swing Tiger gives him makes him come back for more. I'd have to get up 5 times in a span of 5 minutes to break them apart. Eventually, I got tired of interrupting my homework or dinner to shoo Rico away, so now, I listen. If all I hear are paws, it's a go. If I hear Rico make noise (which he never does), then it's time to step in. And other times I'll let the old timer teach Rico a lesson.

This Gig is a Full-Time Job

It Doesn't Take Much To Entertain Them

When You Know, You Just...Know

Every one of these furry joys is a rescue animal. I found Lovie as I was walking home from the bus stop after school. Parker, well...parked herself on the front porch. Tiger, having the most normal adoption story, kept coming into our backyard, and I saw Rico walking along the side walk as I drove to get fried chicken. I never questioned any of their reasons for coming into our lives. All it took was for me to get my hands on them (aside from Parker. She picked US) and they were in the house. I like to think it's fate. Or a serious liking for furry things.

They'll Always Find Something Else Bad to Do!

There is no shortage of trouble Rico finds to throw himself into, but he manages to surprise even then! Within three days, Rico has discovered the joy of ripping the toilet paper wrappers, trying to sneak inside the dryer and crawl all over my wet clothes when i'm trying to load and he's been eying a wall piece in the living room...I just stared at him. Don't you dare...don't you dare...!

Personal Space? No Such Thing!

Pets have no concept of personal space, at least not in my hoard! The only one who wants to be left alone is Tiger and that's because he's a grouch. As for the other two, it's both funny and confusing: They like to watch you pee. They can't resist! So I've given up on trying to shoo Parker and Tiger and Rico away in the last 8 to 10 years of being a pet owner. They like to walk all over your keyboard while your working and shut down your computer. They like to lay down in the pages you're trying to read. They like to put their butt in your face.They like to walk on your throat and sit on your chest. This would be why Parker is called Velcro-dog. She sticks to you!