5 Things You Absolutely Need To Know Before You Visit A College

Hey high school juniors and seniors, here are some tips for you.

10

I know visiting colleges can be stressful and nerve-racking. I have been through it, and I can tell you I had no idea what to ask or what to see. Here are some helpful tips on what to see and ask your tour guide when you're looking around.

1. Check the bathrooms

This could potentially be where you bathe for at least the next year. Check if it's clean and the drains are free of a lot of hair. Also, ask how often the staff cleans the bathroom. That could be a deal breaker for you.

2. Ask what activities the school does for fun

Find interesting things you could be interested in, such as trips into Boston, bingo nights, or comedy shows. You are going to need something to get your mind off of all the homework you have. If the tour guide hesitates on telling you, there probably is not a lot to do.

3. Ask about which Professors you should and should not take

If you are extremely interested in the school and you intend to go there, ask about Professors in your major or for required classes. It could make the rest of our semester a lot better because it is better to know which professors are the most lively, the best teachers, or the most interesting.

4. Ask about the food in the cafeteria

Ask about the variety of food that is offered. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, check to see if they have those options. Some colleges have different stations in one cafeteria for all types of food and others have many cafes and bistros you can go to for food, so it does not become repetitive.

5. See if the school has a First Year Experience course of something similar

This helps freshman become integrated into the college and really helped me get used to being in college. The course gives you resources to better your papers, study habits, and overall understanding of the school. Make sure your potential school has this course or program. It will keep you afloat that first semester.

And just remember, try to make friends when you go to these open houses and Admitted Student's Day. It is a great way to find your new friend group.