5 Things In Life That Are More Important Than Politics

Don't let politics sabotage what truly matters.

1880
Unsplash via Pexels

Allow me to address a subject that hits far too close to home. With the state of our nation, I believe that we're all guilty of letting politics take over aspects of our lives that are far more important in the grand scheme of things. Over the past year, we've seen insane news headlines and probably have found ourselves in a number of political arguments. Without a doubt, this has wasted a lot of time that could've been spent doing things that actually matter and yield results. Here are a few things that I believe matter more than politics:

1. The people you love and care about

If you've ever had a political argument with someone you care about, especially a family member, I hope it was civil and respectful. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case, and arguing with your loved ones often leads to straining the relationship. It's definitely okay (and important) to state and defend your political views, but for your own sake, do not let an argument tear you away from the people you love and care about. Was politics there for you when you got your heart broken? Did politics tell you that it was proud of the person you've become? Has politics ever told you that it loves you? No, so don't let it come between you and the people that have done those things.

2. Your education and/or career

What's more important than arguing over something a politician did? Educating and bettering yourself. Whether this means working towards a goal or having a thirst for knowledge, you owe yourself to learn something new every day, no matter what the state of politics is. Allow yourself to take a break from worrying about politics to focus on learning more about topics that interest you.

3. Art

Yes, I know a lot of good art is political, no matter the medium. Unless worrying about politics gives you as much joy as music, films, poetry, paintings, I suggest you take the time to appreciate the endless beauty around us that fellow humans have produced. I'd much rather read a best-selling novel than spend my time reading a Buzzfeed article about some dumb sh*t the president tweeted.

4. Your spiritual life

If you're a religious/spiritual person, you probably consider your relationship with whatever god you subscribe to more important than politics. Religiously watching news networks and voting won't get you into heaven. I don't know about you, but my God could care less about your political party. Forget about politics for a minute and look around to appreciate your miraculous surroundings.

5. Loving and serving others

Do me a favor and ask yourself– is my political relevance helping those in need? Am I being a light in the darkness? Or, am I just another lost voice in the political mob? Don't think that I'm not just as guilty of this because I definitely am. It's easy to project our beliefs and state what should be happening without ever actually being proactive. It's easy to say "I'm going to vote for ____ because they promise to decrease poverty in America" without ever lifting a finger to aid this cause. "Politics" is an abstract concept easily tossed about and ever changing. The thing about politics is that it is simply that– it. People aren't abstract, and they matter a whole lot more than something that is.