5 Things Liberal Millennials Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Politics

We can change the world.

150
LinkedIn

If you're a liberal millennial you have definetly heard these 5 things from family members and peers, and I'm sure you're as tired of it as I am:

1. You'll be a realist in a couple of years.

Excuse me family, but I am plenty real. Just because I'm fighting for absolute gender and race equality does not make my policies unreal.

2. You're too young to understand what you're saying.

While this does have some backing, as many young people don't have to deal with stressors that can change political views, it is time that older conservatives stopped shutting down young political ideas. Revolutionary ideas are the backbone of this country, and what liberal millennials are saying are often revolutionary ideas. Older conservatives need to listen to these views, and stop casting them to the wayside.

3. Sweetie, you're policies could never work in real politics.

Switzerland, Germany, Canada: all cases in which liberal policies, even government sponsored healthcare, have all worked and prospered. Our ideas do work in real politics, it's same minded people who don't want to acknowledge the benefit they can have on the American government and people.

4. It's so great that you are trying to be informed.

I am not trying to be informed, I am informed, and liberal millennials are not the jokes of society. Our views are strong and just because they go against unfair, but established, policies does not make them have any less value. Stop undervaluing liberal millennial ideas, because I can promise were all working our hardest to change this world.

5. You don't really understand how the policies you are promoting are going to affect people.

I can guarantee that everyone benefits from Planned Parenthood, and women having autonomy within their OWN bodies. I can guarantee that everyone benefits from a world in which men and women are valued equally. I can guarantee that everyone benefits from a society in which one's race did not predetermine his or her life. I can guarantee that everyone benefits from health care. And yes, as liberal millennials we understand that healthcare would cause an increase in taxes, but we also understand that no one benefits from the healthcare system we currently have. So yes we see the downside of higher taxes, but we are also able to look past that at what those taxes will provide.

As liberal millennials we often get overlooked, but as a young female liberal millennial I can tell everyone out there that I am willing to fight for the equality America and Amercian citizens deserve. It is not rash to call for equality, and it is not rash to think that we can change the world. If Mohandas Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, or Martin Luther King, Jr. had thought that fighting for what they believed in was rash that they would not be names we all know. Believe you can change the world, and then you can.