5 Things I've Learned From Transferring Colleges

When The First Time Doesn't Work Out...

216
Snehalkanodia

Leaving the town that you’ve grown up in your entire life and going off to college is a daunting experience. You enter this whole new world of opportunities, people, places, and experiences, its hard not to get caught up in, and even a little scared of it all. What’s especially scary is slowly coming to the realization that you may have made the wrong choice in schools. Well, that isn’t an end-all-be-all conclusion, many people do actually end up transferring from the first college they’ve attended, including me. Transferring colleges has taught me a lot about people, the education system, and most importantly, myself, but I’ve decided to narrow it down to five points.

1.Colleges aren’t all that different from each other

Really, they’re not. Campus designs are all around the same layout, they have the same foods, same classes, same professors, even same parties. It really just matters if you feel like the school is a good match for you. Colleges are all run the same way, and have the same rhythm to them. Your routine really may not change all that much from that at your other school, but the difference is that you’ll feel more comfortable and happier in this brand new setting.

2. Its okay to not be sure what you want to be when you grow up

I have probably been told this hundreds of times, and I finally realize that it’s true. I went to a community college my freshman year because I really wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. Senior year of high school, as everyone was getting their acceptance letters, there was me embarrassed to tell people that I was going to a community college because I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Now I look back and laugh because I still don’t know what I want to do with my life, and its normal! Most people don’t and its totally okay to admit it, we all figure it out as we go.

3. Listen to that gut feeling

Maybe you got that feeling when you first visited your campus and now well into the first or second semesters, its just gone. Trust it. You know when something isn’t right for you and that includes a school. Yes, it’ll be hard to go through everything and transfer colleges but its a heck of a lot better than staying because its easier and continue to be miserable.

4. Its easier the second time around

Picking up and moving away to college the first time is hard enough as it is, but the second time? No really, it gets easier. You’ve been through all of the orientations and meetings and meeting new people that you’re a pro at this now! When you’re more familiar with the situation you know what to expect. Also, a big plus is you’re put into a transfer group, so all these people are going through the same thing you are. All the people I met there are actually my best friends now.

5. Believe in yourself

Yes, I know its really corny. But seriously, you have to just trust yourself and put yourself out there to connect to new things and people. Changes are great but they can also be scary, take it from someone like me who hates change. This fresh new start is something really special, so take the chance to reinvent yourself and don’t be afraid to be who you want to be. You wont regret all the opportunities and new friends that come to you in doing so.