5 Things That Could Kill Your Long Distance Relationship

54766

Everyone knows that long distance-relationships aren't easy. I mean, it's not like they are anyone's dream relationship; however, more and more college students are finding themselves in long distance relationships. Maybe you met your significant other over a school break and they live miles away; maybe they're a high school sweetheart attending the community college back home; maybe you went to the same school but they graduated or transferred, leaving you in an LDR that you never expected to be in. Well, no matter what your specific circumstances are, I'm sure we can all agree that long distance relationships are hard. Here are five things to be wary of that could break up your long distance love:

1. Lack of communication

This one is obvious. If you're not seeing each other very often, those good morning texts, good night texts, Skype dates or the occasional late-night phone calls can make or break your relationship. Communication is the one way you can make your partner feel that they are still an important part of your life, and when you stop talking as often, or if the conversations turn into nothing more than the "Hey. How was your day?" or, "How've you been?" your relationship starts falling apart.

2. Unresolved fights

When you see each other everyday, you are sort of forced to face any problems that lie between the two of you. However, when you are looking forward to those phone calls or Skype dates, its easy to push aside big issues, not wanting to waste what little time you have together arguing... Don't do this! Unresolved problems can turn to resentment, and nothing is going to change if you don't talk about it. Do you realize how much it would suck if the eventual breakup is caused by a problem the two of you could have fixed months ago instead of ignoring it?

3. Infrequent visits

As a college student, it can be hard to work around your school and work schedule to visit your significant other. But making plans to visit each other, even if it is a month or two away, is important. It's really important to have something to look forward to; rather than focusing on how long you are apart, you can start thinking of how great it will be to be together again. Also, at some point you have to make your significant other a priority instead of letting them fade to the background. While it can be difficult to balance everything going on in your life, if your love is worth it, then put them first every once in a while. If you don't, even a strong relationship could crumble.

4. Not making time for your S.O.

Not having enough time for your partner is one of the main reasons long distance relationships don't work out, but it's also the most selfish. Think of all the things you do in a day, all the people you talk to, the TV shows you watch, the video games you play, even the time spent doing absolutely nothing. Love requires compromise and sacrifice; if you can't put aside one hour of doing one of these things to make your significant other feel loved and special, then it can't work out.

5. Not trying

At the end of the day, you can mess up all of these other things and still be in love. The only thing that can ever really kill your relationship is when you stop trying. Long distance relationships are hard -- of course they are -- but they're worth it. Don't give up and don't stop trying; make time when you can. Never let only one person in the relationship do all of the work; if you've become too busy, too wrapped up in school or in your own life that you've forgotten your S.O.'s needs, just stop and think..."What have I done to make them happy today?" You should be able to answer that question almost every day. And if you haven't done anything to make them happy in a while, then try harder. Go surprise them and visit them. Call them just to say you wanted to hear their voice. Send them a cute picture that made you think of them. Tell them how much you miss them. Send a heart-felt 'I love you' text. Just... don't give up.