5 Things International Kids Find Odd When Coming To America

Here's a few things that some international kids and third culture kids like myself find weird about the U.S.

21
Feed Your Soul

I was adopted from Kathmandu, Nepal, and my mom, who is from the U.S., decided to move us back after my adoption was complete. I have spent many summers visiting family in the U.S., but until college I have never actually lived in the US. Although I have an american passport, I haven't lived here for more than a few months. People today would consider myself, and other people like me, "third culture kids." I was raised in a culture that is not where my mother was raised. This being said, I sometimes describe myself as an international student because a lot of things about the U.S. are completely alien to me. Here is a list of a few things that some international kids, and third culture kids like myself, find easier, more difficult, or even weird when they come to the U.S. for school.

1. Roads, Highways, Rules . . .

In Kathmandu, Nepal the traffic is horrific. The rules are almost non-existent and rarely followed. Our paved roads do not make for a smooth ride and the rest of the roads are made of dirt. I am used to roads half the size of a regular highway with motorbikes taking over the majority of them. There are green lights and red lights people follow, but there are also traffic police officers who stand in the middle of roundabouts directing cars. There is no such thing as "pedestrians right of way" and crossing the street becomes life or death.

Coming to the U.S. where the roads are nice and smooth, I could actually hear the music on the radio without the constant distraction of honking vehicles. Highways and roads are aligned in an orderly fashion and safe!

2. So many food options!

Not only are the convenience stores a maze or even a game like Candy Land, but there are just so many options to choose from! When I go to restaurants or my school cafeteria and ask for a sandwich I am totally overwhelmed. For example, when I order a BLT in Nepal it's simple, I ask for a BLT and that's the end of it. In the U.S. I get asked which type of bread I would like, which type of cheese, etc. I don't know the differences between breads! There is too much to choose from and it makes me nervous to even order.

3. Wearing shoes indoors and on beds!

Like many Asian countries, Nepali's do not wear shoes inside the house. I am used to getting home and immediately taking my shoes off. If it's cold, I still take my shoes off and wear socks. I am not used to wearing shoes all the time! When I go into someones house, or dorm room, I always have the urge to take my shoes off, but I know its not normal, and might even seem gross to anyone else. I have also experienced times when people wear shoes and get on their beds, or their friends' beds! To me this is so weird! It's where you sleep, yuck!!!

4. The drinking age

I grew up in a country where the legal drinking age was 18, yet seldomly followed. Ordering a beer, or even a shot at a bar below the age of 21 isn't anything special in Nepal. Here, legal drinking has a high age. International students from all over come from a world where it is legal to drink at their age, to a country where they can't! It's a hard transition!

5. The Forever Football vs. Soccer debate, also the Super Bowl

In Nepal, along with most of the world we call "soccer," football. Maybe this is culturally insensitive of me, but I think that makes absolute sense, and I honestly don't understand where the word soccer comes from. When people ask me about sports I played in high school I name basketball, swimming, track, and then start to stay foot... but quickly correct myself or else people will be picturing me, a five-foot girl, fully padded up.

I knew that American Football was a huge sport in the U.S., hence the name, and I knew that there were probably huge games, and a tournament, but I never knew what the tournament was. When I got to college the first year, people were so excited about the Super Bowl, and would say, "Hey, are you excited to watch," I always felt weird saying yes because I thought the Super Bowl was a huge lottery and the winner won a bunch of money or a really nice car or something. After finally watching the Super Bowl I realized why it was so important.

vs

or maybe even this...