5 Things I'm Grateful For After The Election

Looking for the good is hard, these days. But it's there.

5
Katrina Galvin

This past week has been rough for so many of us; it's been particularly hard for the LGBT, Black, Latinx, Muslim, and immigrant communities, along with so many other minorities who fear for their safety under the changing state of our nation. However, as awful as last Tuesday was, as I stood in line to place my "I Voted!" sticker on Susan B. Anthony's grave, I couldn't help but feel grateful for so many of the things I am privileged enough to have in my life. With Thanksgiving coming up, it's important to remember that you're probably a lot more fortunate than others, and while that doesn't take away from your struggles, I hope they bring comfort to you. Here's to a moment of love and thankfulness in a bleak and uncertain time:

1. The Ability to (in theory) Choose My Leaders

So, maybe the candidate I voted for didn't win. And maybe I get a little aggressive when people on the other side of the political spectrum ask why I'm "so whiny and immature" when I use my outspoken nature to call out the oppressive systems and beliefs that got us here. But, the fact of the matter is, in four more years, we have a chance to change this nation's direction again. As much as it sucks, it beats not being able to do a damn thing when bringing a new leader to power.

2. Having a Loving Family to Come Home to

I am so, so lucky to have the family that I do. My mom is my best friend, in the same vein as Lorelai an Rory Gilmore. Holidays with her are never something I dread, but look forward to - and I know how that is not the case for so many families. I have a father who is kind and supportive, even if we don't always necessarily see eye-to-eye. There are so many who do not have this kind of support, and I truly wish I could share some of what that feels like with those who are hurting.

3. The Opportunity for Higher Education

Had I stayed in my ultra-white, conservative hometown on Long Island, I can guarantee that I wouldn't care this much about what's going on. And that's something that really, really bothers me. Yes, I grew up liberal, but it's the education I'm getting here at school that has empowered me to stand up against injustice and get involved in my community. I'm honestly really proud of how far I've come.

4. My Friends in Marginalized Groups

I definitely wouldn't know nearly as much about the current state of our nation and the world, had it not been for my friends who represent the minorities being oppressed in our society. Before college, I regret to say I was the person who would use the "I know a few gay people and I'm an ally!" type of liberal. Now, I know that I'll never actually be able to empathize with the struggles of so many of my loved ones, but I can at least say I've been educated and can fight for the causes that keep us from perpetuating our marginalizing culture.

5. The Family I Chose

Even with all of the fear and hatred that is running rampant in our country, I still feel safe in my bubble. I choose to surround myself with those who lift up others from oppression and despair, and I like to think I am one of those people for my loved ones, as well. It's a lot easier to be resilient when you have someone to rely on, and I really and truly hope that everyone who is feeling the anxieties and pressures that come with this new chapter of US history have a bubble like that to turn to when you feel there is nowhere else to go. For those of you who don't, I am here.