Five Things I Have Learned From My Horse

Thanks Bud, for being a teacher and a friend.

20
Hannah Rowe:Facebook

Sometimes, when I let my horse back into his pasture, I'll sit on a hay bale and just watch him. You horsey people will understand. I love watching him interact with his pasture-mates and seeing what he does when he isn't out of the pasture with me. I love him a lot and so just watching him gives me joy. Along with warming my heart, it's the times I observe him that I learn from him. So, here's five things I have learned from Buddy.

1. He's not just a horse, but a partner and a friend.

When you ride a horse, you and that horse become one. You feed off of each other, and it's a partnership. Over the years, I can definitely say that Buddy and I have become a team. As a beginner rider, I was afraid of him and let him do as he pleased (which was nothing. He would stand there and not move). But once he realized I was on his side, and I wasn't out to "show that stupid horse who was boss," he slowly let me in as I did him. Now, we are inseparable. Not only are we a team, but I'd say we are friends. Every emotion I felt, if I were near Buddy, he'd feel too. When I sold my first steer, I begged my mom to drive me to the ranch so I could see him. That night I stood there crying into his neck for about an hour, and he just stood there and let me. Every time we would get ready to run barrels at a show, I would feel nervous, excited, and apprehensive and so would Buddy. His eyes open wide, he'd prance over to the arena and I could feel him trembling with excitement under the saddle. I'd say we have had some great times, and I'm so glad Buddy was the one by my side.

2. It's okay to treat yourself every now and then.

I absolutely love Cool Ranch Doritos. One day, I brought the party size bag out to the ranch to share with a few friends. I turned my back on Buddy for two minutes and he ate the whole thing. I started panicking, thinking I just killed him or at the very least gave myself a very expensive vet bill. He was totally fine. So now, every year on our anniversary, we split a big bag of cool ranch Doritos. He gets 75 percent of the bag and I get the remaining quarter but it is okay. Bud, thanks for teaching me that it's okay to treat myself every now and again. Your not overweight or unhealthy yet, and you eat everything you can get your mouth on. So maybe, I can justify the weekly Taco-Bell runs.

3. Don't let people walk all over you.

Buddy is by no means the biggest horse out at the ranch. However, he thinks he is. My horse takes no crap from any of them. We had a problem for awhile, because every pasture we put him in he would start fights and usually finish them as the winner. He has been called "The Jerk," "Evil," "A Pain in the A**" and many others, but I think he is just standing up for himself! Granted, he's my baby so he can do no wrong! Buddy definitely has an over-inflated ego, but I do like the underlying message: Don't take unnecessary crap from others. You know who you are, so be proud of it.

4. Listen to the advice of others. You don't know everything.

It was a hot and muggy summer's day, and Buddy and I were trail riding in the middle of the forest. As usual, I had lead him off the marked trails until we were really lost, and then I gave him free rein to find our way back home. It was a little game we both enjoyed. This one day, however, Buddy wouldn't leave the marked trail. I wanted him to cut between two trees and trek across this field and he wasn't doing it. It's not like Buddy to disobey, and instead of realizing this I became frustrated and angry with him. No matter how much I kicked and complained, Buddy wouldn't budge. All of a sudden, the stick that was lying by the trees started moving. If it wasn't for Buddy's knowledge, I would have made him walk us right over a rattlesnake. That was humbling. Before assuming you fully know the current situation or topic, it is always important to listen to others who know more. A close minded person never gets far in life.

5. We don't live forever.

Although a very sad realization, it is one that will always be true. Buddy is now 25 years old. I still don't realize how that happened...and how am I nineteen and a sophomore in college? We are growing up and older together, and watching Bud age has made me realize something. It's important to enjoy the time we have. Buddy still has an attitude problem, but he doesn't challenge every horse as he used to. I can tell his back sometimes bothers him and occasionally when he walks I can hear one or two of his joints pop. Recently, I was told he has a severe heart murmur. The veterinarian that told me this recommended he be a "pasture ornament" his remaining years. That's okay, though. When Bud and I go on walks or when I am spending time with him, we talk about when we were both younger and crazy. Looking back, some of the stuff we did was pretty dumb. My friend and I used to jump on him bareback and jump fallen logs, or run events like "Buddy Pick-Up". Sometimes, we used to pretend we were Indians and we would try and mount from behind our horses. Quick side note, Buddy's Indian horse name was "Brown-Feather." I know, I know, I was a creative kid. Some days, when it was really hot, we would go on long rides that ended up with us all swimming in the river. These times were so much fun, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. And, these current times are great too. Just brushing and talking to Buddy makes me smile. When I put him in his pasture and hug his neck, he still wraps his head around my shoulder and hugs back. I'm grateful Buddy is my partner and friend, and that he has taught me all he has.