5 Things Every Education Major Hates Hearing

The world needs teachers. What future and current teachers don't need is the world critizing everything we do.

13

The world needs teachers. Without teachers, there are no doctors, astronauts, engineers, scientists, politicians etc. From the early and most important years for education to grad school, we would be no where without teachers. Yet, current and future teachers seem to be questioned as to why they want to enter into a career with little pay and a lot of work. Being a teacher may not be the highest paying job but it is the most rewarding experience short-term and long-term. Here are 5 things every education major hates to hear:

1. "Why would you want to be a teacher? It pays nothing!"

Teaching isn't all about the money. Teachers are the most hard working, dedicated people who don't do their job for the money, they do it because they have a passion for inspiring children and making a change. Every education major goes into this career knowing the pay isn't going to be large but the rewarding experiences are constant.

2. "Why would you want to work with kids? I hate kids!"

Well if you hate kids it's probably a good thing you aren't a teacher. I on the other hand love kids and am the one choosing to work for hours on end every day to inspire them and teach the most important lessons they will learn.

3. "So don't you just read books and color all day or something?"

Yes I have been asked this question several times. Stopping myself from punching these people in the face was the hardest thing I've ever done. If you think this is all elementary teachers do, please for the love of god think again. Teachers have 12 hour days of lesson planning, teaching, working with co-workers, parents, and faculty members. There is so much goes on besides teaching and working with students during the day.

4. "Teaching sounds so easy and you get summers off!"

Whoever says this clearly does not know the first thing about teaching. Teaching is not easy and teachers get very little time during the summer off. They have to pack up their classroom, set up their new room, teach summer school, go to workshops, work second jobs and plan for the next year.

5. "Isn't teaching just like babysitting?"

If you ask this, you a literally too stupid to insult and you should probably go back to kindergarten to figure out the answer. I would explain it to you but I have lessons to plan for my full time babysitting gig.