5 Things Every College Student Should Look For In An Apartment

Your Personal Checklist...

85
https://vsco.co/

It’s that time of year - leases are ending, rooms are filling up, and everyone seems a little stressed out about the right thing to do. If you’re a freshman living on a college campus, you may not have even realized the fact that it is, indeed, the season for apartment shopping.

Without any prior knowledge, my roommates and I embarked on our first apartment quest. The process took months, and although we eventually figured most things out, we could have saved ourselves a lot of stress had we known what to look for in an apartment. Because of this, I have compiled a checklist of things that I wish I had with me when looking for a place to live. My goal is to make the apartment shopping process a little more manageable and less intimidating for college students, especially those first-time renters. Paying attention to these things will ensure that your living space meets all of your needs and wants so that you don’t find yourself with any post move-in regrets.

1. A lease and floor plan that fits you

A vital step is to figure out the logistics of what you are looking for in an apartment. If you are going to have roommates, the process will be much easier and fluid if you know your roommate situation prior. This means, knowing who you will be living with, visiting the apartment together, and consistently being on the “same page” about what you want. Most apartments have many different floor plans available for renters to choose from. Be sure to collectively define how many rooms you will need, how many bathrooms you want, and how you would like before going on tours. Make sure you are open and honest with your roommates about what you will the amount of space you are comfortable with. Another reason to have your roommates figured out prior is because many apartments will not allow you to sign until you have all roommates. You will want to make sure you are touring the correct floor plans and can see them together.

Another important thing to pay attention to when looking for an apartment is that the lease is timely for you. You will have to look at (and/or discuss with your roommates) how long you will need the apartment when you need to move in, and when the lease ends. Many apartments offer a 12-month lease, where others may be more flexible to your schedule.

2. Proximity to school

As a student, one thing you will be glad you have on your checklist is to choose an apartment close to campus. Especially if you are coming from the dorms, where you’re used to being relatively close to school, a fifteen-minute commute would take some getting used to. In most college towns, there are so many apartments close to the college, so I’d recommend taking a look at those first. Even if it means spending a little more money, you can save so much time and energy living somewhere close. If you have to pay for gas to commute to school, the prices would likely even out anyway. Being at an apartment close to campus also means that the apartment houses mostly students, thus there will be a large chance that you’re surrounded by people your own age. Apartments close to campus also tend to have higher security (but more on that in number #5). I think that proximity to school (or work or whatever you do) is an essential detail to keep in mind.

3. Transportation

Building off of #2, it is important to figure out what kind of transportation accommodations you will need to get to and from your apartment. For example, if your school or work is within walking or biking distance, you should make sure the apartment has a safe place that you can lock your bike. If you are planning on driving, it would be a good idea to look into an apartment with cheap parking. Finally, if you’re too far away to walk but don’t have a car, you’re not out of luck. Many apartments have shuttles that can transport you to other popular areas for no extra cost. For example, Gateway in Tempe offers a free Orbit to the ASU campus.

4. Your Ideal A Community

After living in the dorms where there is a new event, social opportunity, and activities almost daily, the community of an apartment is definitely something to keep in mind on your search. Here in Tempe, most apartments have pools, but did you know that some apartments even hold pool parties and other events to meet the other residents? Although this may not seem like a necessity, it will be a surprising and weird shift to move from knowing everyone who lives around you to not knowing a soul. Choosing an apartment that facilitates community is a “checklist” member that often gets neglected. Despite this, doing so will help you meet some new friends, give you incentive for living there, and likely will help you feel more safe and comfortable in the community.

5. Safety

Your parents probably warned you about the necessity of this one before you started looking. But what does “safety” really mean? Again, if you’re like me and you’re coming from the dorms, you’ve probably taken the safety measures of your campus dorm for granted. We have residential advisors and emergency plans for everything. But safety in an apartment is a whole different story. Every person may have their own preferences when it comes to safety, but it a good idea to have lay out some minimum requirement so safety measures for your apartment. Some apartments have a Courtesy Patrol Officer so anytime you feel unsafe out - say walking late at night - you can be escorted. Locked gates and emergency stations are also good things to look for in your apartment search. If anything on the checklist is the most important, it is definitely this one.

Gateway at Tempe Apartments are an easy walk to Arizona State University. Offering students high-end features and newly renovated a-List amenities at a great price. Apartments feature furniture packages, washers and dryers and more! Entertain your friends in the social backdrop of our resort-style pool and grilling areas. Check out Gateway at Tempe Apartments today!