Why You Shouldn't Jump To Christmas Before Thanksgiving

5 Reasons You Should NEVER Listen To Christmas Music ANYTIME Before December 1st

Did we all completely forget Thanksgiving exists?

179

Halloween just passed, and stores have completely looked over Thanksgiving as they set up for Christmas. On top of that, Christmas music is already invading radio stations, making people forget more and more about the next major holiday, which is Thanksgiving. Here are 5 reasons you should look forward to Thanksgiving before you jump straight to Christmas.

1. The food is superb.

https://unsplash.com/photos/RPjyNMHDrFY

With a dash of cinnamon on everything, sweet and savory mixed on your plate, and a million types of bread, Thanksgiving food is sure to never disappoint. My favorite thing is to compare my family's traditional meal with other families because there are some major differences! I did not know about sweet potato pie with marshmallows on top until just a few years ago! Food is a staple in most holiday celebrations, and the entire process can be fun, from the kitchen to the dining room table.

2. Being with family and friends is THE BEST.

Unsplash

Thanksgiving is a time when families and friends can get together without having the stress of work or school weigh them down. My family makes it a priority to spend the entire day together, and it is also important for me and my friends to spend some time together either before or after Thanksgiving. In our home, we all pitch in with the cooking. I have always enjoyed helping make side dishes or figuring out what else the mashed potatoes need. By the end of the night, we are usually doubled over in laughter looking at old pictures or playing some silly game like "Cards Against Humanity".

3. You get a much-needed break from school.

https://unsplash.com/photos/hes6nUC1MVc

Let's be honest. Most of us college students have been hanging on by a thread for the past few weeks. Especially with midterms, essays and projects all due in the same time frame, the stress has been elevated. Some professors do assign homework over the long weekend, but I usually do my best to complete it as soon as possible after getting it, because there is no chance I'm going to do it during the festivities. And when Sunday comes around, I know I'd still continue to push any homework I have off to the side, which would screw me over. Take the few days off to get school off of your mind!

4. It is acceptable to start celebrating Christmas.

Unsplash

Like I said, Halloween JUST happened, and it feels like Christmas is next week already! Thanksgiving is late enough in November where it is more acceptable to start Christmas festivities once it's over. It may still be a bit early, but it's better to celebrate a month early instead of skipping past a whole holiday. Black Friday marks the Christmas shopping season, and should only occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Recently, sales have begun as early as a week before actual Black Friday, which is ridiculous and completely defeats the purpose of having a day to shop for gifts at lower prices. This long weekend is usually when I begin to think about Christmas and decorating.

5. It's almost the New Year.

https://unsplash.com/photos/HxeBUWUiA1A

Once Thanksgiving is over and people start the Christmas festivities, people also start thinking about the New Year. Maybe you will start to think about your New Year's resolutions around this time. After Thanksgiving break, there are only a few weeks left of the semester in school. It's the home stretch! And we just have to hold on for a little bit longer before we get to start fresh and let go of 2019. Maybe it was really good to you, and maybe not so much. Either way, it is a chance to start something new, learn a new skill, start on a new page of your life.