5 Things They Don't Tell You About College

College is made out to be scary, but from my experience these are some things I've learned

2
SPHKLEDXMILK

I started my first day of college today. Whoopee, right? But as I was walking to my first class and looking around, I liked what I saw. A new environment; a free one. But as I was walking, I started thinking of how I wasn't in high school anymore and how different things were. They're quite funny and I decided to share them with you today. So here are some things they don't tell you when you go to college.

1. Diversity

They did not tell me how many people of different religions, majors, ethnicities, and race there were. College is a melting pot for meeting new people that are so extraordinary. Today, I was in my general psychology class and there were so many different people in there with so many different majors all there for the same purpose. How amazing is that? (If you cant tell my first day was excellent and I love college)

2. Carefree

No one told me how chill and laid back college was. There's no one walking the campus telling us to get to class or to put our cell phones away. Today I walked past a deathly ping-pong match and then a guy sitting alone at a table reading a book while slowly eating an apple. Typical yes, but that's what college is about. Doing whatever you want and not being judged. Just chilling out and enjoying your free time when you're not swamped with homework. Meeting new people from different backgrounds. Its all so amazing.

3. The Wonderful Workload

Of course I knew college was hard, I mean it is college. But high school did a pretty crappy job of preparing me for the college workload. I had 5 hours of homework in one of my classes on the very first day, and I wish I was exaggerating but when you're studying you count the hours for bragging rights. I wanted to blow my brains out until I realized every college class is like that, so the brain blowing will have to wait until after college unfortunately due to the fact that it will be in constant use.

4. The Professors

When you're a high school teacher, you can't cuss at all. But today I learned that when you're a college professor, you can. Which makes my experience as a college student much more enjoyable and easier to learn, especially when your general psychology teacher introduces the course by saying, "In this class, we're going to learn why people do the crazy sh*t they do." I wish I was joking, but not really. Probably the highlight of my day.

5. The Journey

Yes, I've heard college is hard and is filled with long nights of studying, crying, reading, taking exams, crying and then crying some more, but I have never heard someone say that they didn't like their college experience. How much you grow up in college and the new people you meet are the people that will be your friends for life and its the launching pad into your future.

All these things may be super cheesy and stupid but as a college student who has only faced the first day of college, I love it so far and I've met so many people and I haven't even experienced my second day yet. I am so excited to embark on this new journey with all the people that I meet along the way.