5 Struggles Of Being A Short Girl In A Tall Person's World

No, I will not be your armrest.

32

As someone who grew up never quite matching up in height to the kids in my classroom, I’ve come to adapt to the struggles I face as a short girl in a tall world.

1. First of all, jeans!

I think I’ve given up with jeans at this point, and while some girls may have mastered this aspect, I think most can say it’s never an easy task. It seems almost impossible to find a pair of jeans that will hug our bodies in the right areas and not crinkle up at the bottom. If you’re anything like me, my best attire comes out in the warm weather when I don’t have to worry about this. And how could you go wrong with rompers, skirts, and sundresses? When it’s seemingly impossible to find the perfect pair of jeans and its way too cold to put in the effort, sweaters and leggings it is.

2. Going on a run with someone taller than you

Okay. Maybe this is just me being lazy, but I swear my little legs have something to do with my struggle to keep up. Standing at only 4'9", this pretty much applies to everyone around me. When you feel yourself struggling, blame it on your shorter strides.

3. You have limited options during a car ride.

For some reason, when deciding who’s sitting where during a car ride, us short people always get stuck in the middle. Literally. And the logic? Because you’re the smallest. However, if you’re lucky, you won't have to spend the whole time uncomfortably sitting on someone else’s lap.

4. People tell you they like to be around you because you make them feel tall.

Well... good to know that is my only redeeming quality.

5. You are always going to look younger.

By default, height will always be associated with age and may be a disadvantage during the pre-21 years. You will always look like the baby, and while you may find this annoying during high school and college, always remember to think about the future. I know I look 14 when I’m really 20, but maybe when I’m 30 I’ll look 24, and I can’t complain about that.