5 Struggles of Being Spontaneous

5 Struggles of Being Spontaneous

Not always just rainbows and butterflies.

20
5 Struggles of Being Spontaneous
Bing

Spontaneous: "performed or occurring as a result of a sudden inner impulse or inclination and without premeditation or external stimulus." A seemingly captivating trait, to be easy going enough to seldom need to plan ahead and always down for the latest adventure. However, while typically depicted as a desirable trait, being spontaneous has its fair share of downfalls too.

1. Procrastination

When you always chose the last minute, more fun option, it becomes second nature to procrastinate work that actually has a due date. While you are quite aware of the urgency of the assignment, it never takes priority.

2. Scheduling never pans out well

While you would love to follow a routine schedule like everyone else you know, you just can't tackle the task. Setting aside time to get lunch with a friend, go to the gym, read a book, do homework, and take a nap sounds like a fantastic idea in theory but execution is practically impossible when you would much rather jump at the opportunity for whatever plan pops up last minute.

3. Getting caught in bad situations

While a seemingly fun spin-off of a popular Jim Carrey movie, being a "Yes Man" will not always situate you in the most sensible of positions. It's all fun and games until you end up alone in a stranger's apartment after a party or in a dark alley on your walk home with a friend all because your spontaneity got the best of you.

4. Explaining yourself

Although in the moment it may have been the time of your life, how do you explain to your parents why you are failing school because you chose to go on a hike or chase a clown in a clown riot, instead of studying. How do you explain to your teacher that you need an extension on an assignment because your friend asked you to try a new ice cream and that was much more appealing than meeting a due date? While in the moment it seems worth it, try to think of the end game.

5. Time management

When you prioritize seizing every opportunity you are fronted with, it is very challenging to manage your time. How can you fit in a nap, do your homework, attend a meeting, or do nearly anything else when you don't fit it into your schedule?