The 5 Stages Of Adopting A Rescue Animal

An adaption of the five stages of grief.

172
Sarah Ernst

Many people have heard about the five stages of grief. You know the one: it starts with denial, then moves onto anger, bargaining, depression and, finally, acceptance. Well, there is another life event that comes in five stages, which I learned this week when I adopted Eleanor (Ellie for short). Without further ado, here are the five stages of adopting a rescue animal!

1. Anticipation

After meeting Ellie on a Friday afternoon, all I wanted was to take her home and introduce her to the family. Unfortunately, I could not do that, as I had to go through the application process. Thankfully, I was the first one to fill out an application, or I would not be writing this article. However, the 24 hours that I had to wait to adopt Ellie were easily some of the most nerve wracking of my life. The thought that I would soon bring home a pet to stay forever led to a sleepless night and heightened nerves.

The anticipation that came was not a new experience. Having previously rescued four animals, I knew what the process was going to be like. But for anyone looking to rescue an animal, know that, while there will be nerves and fear of flaws in your application, they soon fade away.

2. Joy

The face in this picture is very rare. It only comes around when I am truly happy. When I held Ellie in my arms at the SPCA, joy was the only emotion I felt. There is nothing better than being able to call an animal yours. I also know that Ellie felt this same emotion; coming from North Carolina, she has a large scar around her hips after being tied up outside. Now, she saw that she was going home with someone who was going to take care of her, where there would be no more abuse.

Any time an animal smiles at me, it gives me nothing but joy. They see you as a rescuer and a friend, someone who will always be there. One should know that, when you rescue an animal, you are not only rescuing them from physical pain. Rather, you give them the opportunity to learn what love is.

3. Adjustment

No one ever said that taking care of an animal would be easy. But when it comes to rescuing an animal, the adjustment period can take a little longer. Case in point: Ellie had to adapt to another dog in the house, Bella. Ellie is also still a puppy. That means I have to adjust to her habit of chewing everything in sight, including my sneakers.

This can be one of the hardest steps. You do not necessarily want to yell at them for doing something wrong, especially if you know their past history. Part of the adjustment is demonstrating who is the boss, meaning you have to teach your animal how to behave with other animals and household items. But the hardest stage for me (and for many others) is the fourth stage ...

4. Separation

While I would love to spend every waking moment with this gorgeous face, I simply cannot. There are daily tasks, such as work and taking a shower, that ensure that I have to spend time away from Ellie. Since I have only had her for a week, it is hard to leave. I would rather be next to her than out of the house, fretting that she does not have enough water in her room.

The separation worries I know will lessen, as I have experienced this stage with every animal I have owned. It is definitely harder for those who adopt a rescue animal. Many of them have experienced abandonment, and you do not want them to think that you are deserting them. Once you come back though, it is like you have never left, leading to the last stage...

5. Love

I think this picture perfectly sums up the love I feel for Ellie. She has become a confidant when I do not want to talk to humans, a snuggle bug when I am cold, and a comedian when I want to laugh. Ellie was the perfect addition to my family because in one short week she helped me in so many ways.

After going through the first four stages, I am glad to be on the last one. Many pet owners can relate to this feeling of love. Even if they drive us crazy sometimes, they are always there to love you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That unconditional love is well worth the stages of rescuing an animal.

If you are interested in adopting an animal or want to help volunteer, contact your local Humane Society, or visit Petfinder to look for available animals in your area.