5 Spongebob References I Understand Perfectly Now That I Work In Food Service

Your Childhood Show Is Even More Relatable As An Adult

102
Spongebob Wikia

If you ask anyone who I spend a ton of time with, they'll probably tell you that I love Spongebob. Seriously. I love Spongebob.

It all started during my childhood when my sisters and I would gather around the TV and shout along with the lyrics of the theme song. Then in 2005 when the movie came out. You. Best. Believe. I. Was. Stoked.

I am a firm believer that there is a Spongebob quote for anything. Any situation, any time, I can pull up a reference to the best kid's show of all time. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say it's the best show ever. (If you disagree, we probably can't be friends...)

Now that I have a job in the working world, and more specifically, the food service industry, Spongebob has become even more relevant in my life.

Here are 5 scenes from the show that really speak to me.

1. Anchovies.

Picture this: You're just chilling at work, wondering if things could get any slower when... BAM. Suddenly the restaurant is packed and you literally can't move fast enough. But just when you think that things can't get any worse... BAM. The takeout phone starts ringing off the wall and you have even MORE hungry mouths to feed. Pure chaos.

2. Soiled it.

"The customer ordered a medium... And I gave him a LARGE! A LARGE! I've soiled the good Krusty Krab name."

In the midst of working through the 10,000 orders, it's really hard sometimes to avoid making mistakes. The customer wants a large all meat pizza with extra ham, and you accidentally put it on extra thin crust with no ham and extra bacon. And then to make matters worse, you have to re-roll dough and start the whole order all over again...

3. Hot kitchen struggles.

I don't work with a hot grill, but I do work with a really really hot oven. In the last three weeks alone, I've used half the stock of band-aids in the first aid kit and left work with a burn on nearly every finger. I'm new, and oven duties are for the more seasoned veterans. But we all gotta learn how to move pizzas around sometime, and I just happen to not be very good at it...

4. Obsessing over the food I make.

"You like Krabby Patties don't you Squidward?"

Despite the fact that I'm around the pizza, subs, salads, and sweet tea practically all the time, I still get random cravings for our food. Seriously. It's probably once a week that I get a hankering for our specialty house dressing and a plate of our ooey-gooey garlic cheese sticks. In fact, I'm actually craving them as I write...

5. Pay day.

(People in all lines of work can get down with this one.)

I only get paid once a month. So this one I really, REALLY like.

I mean like, really.

See? A Spongebob reference for everything.