3 Basic Signs That Your Friend Might Be Jealous

“A jealous close friend is worse than a friendly hidden enemy.”

6230

For as long as we can remember, we’ve had friends. From the playground in elementary school to connecting to others in online group chats, we’ve introduced ourselves to the different personalities of people who’ve stayed in our lives, shared happiness and sadness, and have been there making our lives a little bit easier.

But what happens when the qualities like encouraging, loyalty, and understanding that make them a good friend become distant memories and behind their smiles hides hostility and passive aggression?

You may realize that it’s better to be a friendless loser than to have a bunch of friends who secretly despise.

Truth is, there are some people you may consider to be your "friend" who would love to be in your shoes, and as much as they try to conceal it, are secretly envious of you. I want you to be able to recognize the signs of a jealous friend. It is important, regardless of their gender, because surrounding yourself with toxic friendships will only prevent you from forming more meaningful and healthy ones.

Here are 3 SIMPLE signs that your friend might be jealous:

1. A "friend" who is envious of you will love to hear your flaws.

If everything that comes out of their mouth is negative or judgmental, it shows that they are trying to exploit your flaws to make themselves feel better. Often, these types of friends will barely acknowledge your achievements but will remind you of your failures. They show a lack of support, which to you may feel like “They want to see you doing good but not better than them”.

For example: If you are sharing good news to this friend, they may not be available to listen, but if they are they might reply with “Oh”, ... “That’s good” .. "You can do better", They may even change the subject and afterwards, not try to find out any other details but the ones that were given because they simple don't want to hear it.

If you are telling them good news, where everyone can hear, they may bring up some of your flaws, which may dim your shine: this person may be trying to diminish your accomplishments.

2. A "friend" who is envious of you will love to expose you.

If you and your "friend" find yourselves arguing about the smallest things, and as a result your secrets or flaws end up exposed, your friend may be jealous.

For example: If you tell your friend you are pregnant, and tomorrow when the argument occurs they give hints to others, or subliminally state it in on social networks. It could be as simple as a "Pregnant at 16" post.

This is something true friends don’t do. This person may have low self-esteem and letting people know the bad things about you, will show others you’re not so perfect, which will ease their emotional turbulence.

3. A "friend" who is envious of you only wants to compete.

If you find yourself wondering if they are competing with you, they probably are. A friend who tries to compete over any and everything is a friend you shouldn’t have.

For example: If you and this friend decide to go to a party, when they see what you are wearing, they might decide to change or insist that they don’t want to go anymore. If often times they downgrade you, and don't compliment you even though you know you look nice, truth is they wish you didn't.

This response shows insincerity and is usually given by someone who is aware of their jealously and are trying to do or look better than you to make themselves feel superior.

So now you’re probably thinking of all of the incidents that have happened which to you sound like jealousy. I am sorry to tell you that if your "friend" is exhibiting signs of jealousy, it is best for you to let them go.

It has been said before and it remains true that as you and your life expand, some people around you will not be able to take the next steps with you and sometimes they can actively resist your growth. The sad thing is some people are not aware of how they portray their hidden hostility and it's best that you evaluate whether you need to stay in this soul-draining relationship, or whether you want to be a lone ranger.

You choose.